Memorystick

paolo_pescia

<p>Hallo, I would like to know when I shot images at 4.5 images par second, the camera create a temporary memory in the camera or they go stright into the memory stick? i would like to know becouse I m asking if the memory stick need to be fast only for downloading or also for saving. I have a nikon d40, i^m looking for a scandisk 8gb extreem3 sdhc at 30mb/s or the 20mb/s.<br>

Thanks Paolo</p>

<p>Hi Paolo,<br>

The D40 will never manage 4,5 images per second, it is limited to 2,5 per second.<br>

But yes, the camera uses buffer memory to temporary store the images, once that memory fills it will start writing to the memory card (memorystick is a Sony card, please try to use that term since it is confusing, your D40 uses SD cards). The faster the SD card you use, the fast it can empty the buffer.<br>

In reality, I don't think you will notice the difference between 20MB/s and 30 MB/s Extreme III cards, both will give near equal results. So I would not at all worry about that difference.</p>

<p>Hello Paolo,<br>

You'll find that it makes a big difference whether you use RAW (NEF) or JPEG. I almost always use JPEG on my D40 and even at the Large, Fine setting and a relatively old Sandisc Ultra II card the camera will work at full speed for an indefinite period. If I use NEF this is no longer true and then the buffer in the camera will fill up quickly. So if you use NEF the memory card may well be important; if you use JPEG it is much less so.</p>

<p>You might notice a difference I think if you copy the images to your computer with a cardreader; the faster the card, the quicker your computer can copy them. I'm not sure this will also be noticeable if you do it directly from the camera to the computer with a usb-cable, but I'd always recommend a cardreader, since you won't drain your camera's battery that way...</p>

<p><strong>Paolo</strong> : Good job on learning English. It's my second language as well, and I know how hard it can be. Probably even slightly harder for people who do not have a germanic language as their first language (I'm assuming you're Italian?). Keep it up and enjoy your D40 ;~)</p>

<p>Just a technical correction, but the camera doesn't fill the buffer before it writes to the card. It begins writing to the card immediately, but due to the transfer speed of the camera and the write speed of the card, the camera has to start filling the buffer. It is always important to pick a card where the write speed is equal to or greater than the transfer speed of the camera or you'll end up filling the buffer earlier and losing shots in a rapid sequence because the buffer is filled. The shutter won't actuate unless there's enough room in the buffer for the shot. </p>