Can I sell photos taken at sports races and public special events?

<p>I want to put photos for sale on my website that I have taken of sporting events and public special events over the summer. These photos include racers, people attending the public events and some children at these events. Is it legal for me to sell these photos on my website without signed releases from the individuals in the photos or from the parents of the children attending these public events?<br>

Also, if a race goes through US government land like the Forest Service or BLM land, where the public has been allowed to tred during the event, can I sell those photos taken without a permit from these government agencies? I would not be using the photos in an advertisement of any kind, but I would be making a profit on them. I live in the state of Colorado.</p>

<p>Releases would not be required for the individuals to sell images taken at events. Typically this kind of thing would be of public interest, newsworthy, etc., so there shouldn't be a problem. There could be licensing issues or perhaps "publicity"/appropriation issues if somehow one went past an news/expressive/artistic use to using an image or a licensed/trademarked product, logo, etc., as a "product." </p>

<p>There are events which have trademarked their logos, names, etc., and might assert thgat you have infringed their rights. Really gets down to the specifics of the particular matter. An example might be the selling of big screen TVs. There's a really big championship football game that was often a driver for TV and cable/satellite installation sales. At least in our area, it's no longer mentioned by name in a variety of ads.</p>

<p>There seems to be ongoing discussion of the extent some trademark holders push their "rights" versus other's rights to "report" the events through sales of materials so while it seems likely you wouldn't have problems, that doesn't mean you won't.</p>

<p>If you are selling fine art prints (which your situation would/should fall under), then you can sell pictures of whomever and whatever you want. Someone could still sue you, theoretically, but with a competent lawyer their case would be thrown out of court.<br>

Your images could not be used for commercial advertisements unless you have a release for any people, properties, trademarks, etc. that appear in your image.</p>