70-200mm f2.8 USM IS (A new Model coming ?)

mad1

<p>I heard of few people that there was a version II of this lens that could reach the market soon... Any of you know some stuff around this? I was ordering it but it's B/O everywhere in the city (available over the web) and sum1 told me that canon is modifying the IS system on this lens... Should I wait before ordering?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>MaDz</p>

<p>This is a time of the year when you'll hear a ton of rumors about almost anything you can imagine - new lenses, new cameras, the whole works. Yes, among all of the other wild rumors that probably won't amount to anything there have been a few about a new version of this lens.</p>

<p>I'd take them all with a grain of salt at this point.</p>

<p>Only you can answer the "should I wait" question. If you need a lens now, the current 70-200mm f/2.8 IS is a really fine lens (OK, outstanding lens) and you should probably go ahead and get it. It is essentially impossible that a hypothetical new version of this lens would be orders of magnitude better than the current lens, and should it actually exist the price will certainly be significantly higher. If you don't need the lens right now, I suppose you might as well wait and see what happens.</p>

<p>Not sure if its a coincidence but I have seen lots of 70-200 2.8 IS lenses for sale on Craigslist. Always those who need to have the latest and greatest. I guess it keeps the economy rolling.</p>

<p>I am perfectly happy with my Non IS version of this lens. </p>

<p>Let me see: if they make a new 70-200mm 2.8 IS lens it will probably be around $2k, if it only has better IS and not better IQ will it be worth the price, if you are a professional photographer you probably should have some version of the 70-200mm 2.8 lens in your bag, if you use the lens outside you are probably at least as well off with the 70-200mm 4.0 IS version (that I use) because it is at least as sharp as the 2.8 version and a lot lighter to hand hold and carry (Ken Rockwell and thousands of others have pointed this out). finally if you must have the 2.8 version you should buy the best one you can afford (by September these rumors should be resolved one way or another). Good luck!</p>

<p>If the lens is B/O most places, other than in some small stores, then that is probably a pretty good indication that there is a new lens coming. This backorder business is very common before a new lens/camera hits the market. I found this with the G9 when I wanted to get one. It was several months before I could get the G10 that replaced it.</p>

<p>But in reality, the current one is really a great lens, so I wouldn't wait unless I could.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your answers :) I will borrow the lens to my friend, until the 'new' one get on the marker... I read on Canons web site that the Hybrid IS is coming :) It will be on this lens for sure and maybe soon...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>better prices</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, if the present trend continues, once the "new-old stock" supplies run out, used "previous model" L lenses in very good condition will be selling close to their today's new price because the "Mk. II" replacements are so much more expensive. </p>

<p>I bet this is from th Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II being announced. So it was confused with the Canon version. I havent heard or read anything anywhere creditable that Canon s even thnking about replaceing it.. Really, better IS is all that can be done to make it better and I'm not spending 2300 on a newer version of mine and its great. I use it ll the time and think the IS is more than adequate. The Nikon version was ovrhauled cause it sucked on FX in the edges. Only the very center was sharp. It was awesome on DX.<br>

I wish Canon would overhaul lenses when its consumers complained as much as Nikon's did when the D3 came out. They act like they care.</p>

<p>Besides, there are many more lenses Canon seriously needs to update. IE 100-400 and the 50 f1.4 really needs it. I'd love a 24-70 f2.8 that had IS. In low low light a 70mm on a 1D3, it has some shake, IS would really help this lens alot.</p>

<p>I bet others could think of some lenses that need overhauled before this one for sure.</p>