WW2 Era Aircraft Camera 'Type F.60' Question

<p>Hi, Cliff Many thanks for that research via the Lens Vade Mecum, mate. So I have to smack myself on the wrist metaphorically, because I too have the LVM but hadn't thought of checking it out for clues about the mysterious F.60!</p>

<p>Heritage-wise, I guess it's just possible that EKC in Rochester might just have supplied the F2 lens, to be fitted to a British-made body. However, you'd suspect it was far more likely that the whole camera unit was made by Eastman Kodak in Rochester, to typical wartime RAF specs in that there should be no clues regarding identification of manufacturer. The lens has a '14A/3534' s/no, preceded by that familiar British Govt Arrow, but no other indications. The camera body has '14A/3541', as you've seen from the pics.</p>

<p>So I guess the lack of response to date from AGI Ltd may not be due to their usual reticence, but merely ignorance!</p>

<p>A friend in the US is currently writing a book about EKC 35mm cameras and although he has the f.55/F.65 Radar cameras listed, he doesn't have the F.60. So I'll get back to him with your news about the lens aspect. Many thanks again, mate!</p>

<p>PETE IN A STILL CHILLY PERTH</p>

• 7 months later...

<p>Hi!<br>

I am so intrigued by your F60 camera that I have joined my first ever forum so that I can add my thoughts.<br>

I am very interested in this type of equipment, but had not previously heard of this model.<br>

I used to think that most RAF wartime camera equipment was British made, but to be honest, this one looks too well made for that! Most British military cameras of this period were distinctly crude in finish and design, usually being finished in plain black or blue/grey gloss paint and made with roughly finished castings. Also, as had been mentioned, there was no 35mm capability in the UK industry at the time.<br>

Thoughts that it may be an AGI camera are, I think, a red herring. The 'logo' on the back of the camera is not the 'AGI' logo as thought by C.M., but the British war department 'broad arrow' stamped on all military equipment bought for the British services. Also, the camera looks completely different to the later AGI R88 V-bomber radar recording cameras. If anything, it has a superficial resemblance to later Shackman recording cameras, but I don't think it is made by them either.<br>

T can suggest a method for determining if it was UK or USA made, but you will need access to a metric micrometer and magnifying glass for this! All UK made precision equipment of this era was assembled using BA screws, and US made equipment used ANF or ANC ones. Remove one of the countersunk screws from the front of the camera and carefully measure the diameter across the threads and examine the thread profile using the aforsaid equipment. If the thread diameter is EXACTLY 3.6mm, 2.8mm or 2.2mm, and the thread form has a distinctly rounded profile (like a sine wave) then it is a 4, 6 or 8 BA screw and the camera will be British. If NOT any of these diameters, and the thread profile looks like a straight sided triangle with the top chopped off (you can see where the magnifying glass comes in), then it will be a ANF or ANC screw and the camera will be American. It doesn't help with the actual manufacturer of course, but puts you in the right direction.<br>

Eiuther way, It's a lovely looking piece of equipment<br>

G.Latimer, Ashford, UK</p>