D700 and walk around lens

ted_holm1

<p>Hello,<br>

I am trying to buy a lens that I can use on my D700 as a walk around everyday lens. I was going to buy the AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED but they seem to be very hard to find. Any suggestions for another lens?<br>

I shoot Landscapes, natural scenery, traveling photos, birds, sunsets. anf family.<br>

I have a 24mm prime and a 50mm prime.<br>

Thank you for any ideas.</p>

<p>Check out the 28-105 Nikkor - it's what's on my body 75-80% of the time. I find it to be very sharp. I once tested it at 28mm, wide open, against my Nikkor 28mm AF non-D, wide open. I know that prime is not the best of the lot, but the zoom was <em>much </em>sharper. I sold the prime, giving up 1/2 of a stop in exch. for money and much flexibility. You can find them in the $100 to $200 range w/ regularity. And it close-focuses to 1:2!!</p>

<p>Although not popular and complained about quite a bit, I find the 24mm-120mm VR give a nice zoom range and gives me very sharp images. It can be purchased fairly inexpensively (about $300 used) if you shop carefully. Although not long enough for most bird shots, it will cover you for the other categories you list.</p>

<p>I have a 28-105mm Nikkor and 24-60mm f2.8 Sigma. Neither are great wide open at the wide end but get better as the focal length increases or the f-stop increases. both are much lighter, smaller and cheaper than the 24-70mm Nikkor. I have read good things about the new Tamron 28-75mm but not used one. Maybe some day. Lots of folks use the 24-120mm Nikkor but it is big and fairly heavy.</p>

<p>keep your eye on the 24-70/2.8, because it's all that! but i'd second the 28-105, or the one i used before i got the 24-70 -- the 28-70/3.5-4.5. it's also very decent, small and light. i had no complaints on the D700. the 24-120 is a good zoom range, but my copy was dull, so i'd advise you to be wary of them.</p>

<p>The new Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM is supposed to be an excellent lens on par with the Nikon. I would imagine it would have to be for 899.00. I plan to buy it one of these days for my D700. I can tell you my favorite lens is my 50mm 1.4. It rarely leaves my camera. It has easily became my main lens. The image quality on the D700 is incredible and the DOF is like nothing I've seen from any other lens/camera combination. If you don't own a 50, you need to put it on your list. Not to mention it is light weight and compact.</p>

<p>When I sold my D300 for a D700 I also sold my trusty tried and true Nikon 18-200 VR. That was my everyday walk around bread and butter lens. I also have a Nikon 28-85 that I love (I kept that). Currently, I found and really like this Tamron 28-300 VC which is a killer. The sharpness, color, focal range versitility, and VC (vibration control) are excellent. Especially the VC...when activated it sounds like a Maytag washer but it is ROCK SOLID. Of course, my 28-85 is still in my bag, fantastic for light, walkaround fun.</p>

<p>Compared to zooms your primes are at least as good so do not downgrade your collection. How about getting 85 f1.4 and live with these three lenses for a while - you may find out you do not miss anything (all can be used for your area of interest). Total weight of lenses = 2 lbs!! Next buy should solve the problem you may find out having with these three lenses - if any.</p>

<p>I'd use the 50. The Sigma 50 1.4 is my default lens and is one sweet piece of glass. The Nikons 1.4's are half the size and weight. Moving my feet covers the 35-70 range. It gives you 2 stops and $ 1500 on the 24-70. Get it and take some pictures in Europe with the change. You have 24,35, 50 covered, how about a 70-200, my favorite lens on balance for performance and versatility. I always pull it out when I aims to do some serious shootin. Usually wet the sights to cut the glare, too, Sgt. York. Add a 1.7 tc (gives 340mm) and have a go at birds. Might be a bit under gunned for serious bird shooting, but not nearly as much as with a 24-70. To know what you seem to prefer, check your metadata if you have previously used a zoom like an 18-200.</p>

<p>Depends on what you want to shoot that particular day. If it's a protest I'd take a 24mm. In fact the 24mm is my take everywhere lens. You can shoot "on the sly" if you want or you can shoot up close and personal. My other two lenses for unknown subjects are either my 35mm or the 50mm lenses. I don't own a zoom with all the focal lengths, such as a 24-70 zoom.</p>

<p>Well said Roy! "Lense" makes my flesh creep.<br />The 24-70mm is an outstanding lens but hauling it around gets tiresome after a while and I rarely do take it out for purely casual use. If I am walking about some city supposedly having fun I try and boil everything down to one prime but everybody's idea will be a bit different. The 35mm ZF is my current favourite.</p>