50mm f1.4 Nikkor-S on S3-2000

<p>Hi Frederick. I was told by a retailer that the lens supplied with the year 2000 issue is a more modern design and not the the 1950s-early 60s SC design. The SC, which I have used at one time, seemed to have been a fine lens for that period of production.</p>

<p>Sorry that my information is not more specific. I believe also that Camaraquest.com site might have something on the year 2000 (and subsequent) releases (as with the redone SP as well as the S3). </p>

<p>Hi Arthur. Thanks, that is my understanding as well. The SP was issued with a 35mm f1.8 which was the same formula as the classic 35mm f1.8 Nikkor. But the 50mm issued with the S3-2000 was a new design. The problem seems to be that the S3-2000 is viewed mainly as a collector's piece. It's mad that Nikon would design a new 50mm f1.4 specially for the S3-2000 and that the lens not be used. I would love to find shots actually taken with this lens!</p>

<p>Ed, thank you, that is a terrific test effort on your part! It seems the Nikkor is a wonderful piece of glass, albeit with the weaknesses you pointed out with respect to coma and color fringing wide open. Flare seemed quite pronounced with the Nikkor in the shots of the gentleman at the party, but that seemed a difficult shot (but isn't that where the extra $$$ count!). Flare was much less aparrent in the shots of the cat, but conditions there seemed "easier".</p>

<p>It looks like this Nikkor will stand up well against any of the modern 1.4's. Older 5cm f1.4 SC Nikkors have a certain signature that makes them stand out from more modern optics for certain applications. What makes you use the Nikkor instead of the Leica glass when you take it shooting?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But the 50mm issued with the S3-2000 was a new design.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's as "new" as the Tokyo Olympics when that particular double-gauss version first came out. The one before that was, of course, was a Sonnar-clone.</p>

<p>With a lens this good, as Ed shows us, it is too bad Nikon did not go the full route and produce a metered S3 or SP with updated Nikon RF lenses, or make a deal with or sub-contract Cosina to continue production of its modern Nikon mount lenses. It appears, however, that the millenium S3 and SP productions were largely hand crafted and not of more economic series production.</p>

<p>The S3 2000 standard focal length lens was modern in the sense that it used the very limited production Olympics design and not the 50s early 60s SC lens design and added updated coating technology for it. I guess it is pretty difficult to find a year 2000 S3 and 50mm lens now, and the other modern lemses from Cosina have apparently come to an end and are in short supply. Thanks to Frederick and Ed for this information.</p>

• 2 months later...