Manfrotto 7322YSHB vs Gitzo GT1550T

alex_standage

<p>I'm looking for a tripod that I can put in my hand luggage on an aeroplane. Both the Manfrotto 7322YSHB and the Gitzo GT1550T will fit in my bag. There is a dramatic difference in price. Would I be able to tell the difference between the tripods? Which should I buy?</p>

<p>If the manfrotto is like the one I saw at a local store. (they keep changing model numbers) "IMO" it is rather flimsy. Someone else may even say "it's worthless."</p>

<p>The Gitzo traveler is a whole other critter.</p>

<p>What camera and lenses do you intend to use, and what kind of photography?</p>

<p>I own the 1550T. It's fabulously light weight and goes up and down quickly. My only gotcha is the ball head attached, I think it's awful.</p>

<p>Looking at the specifications side by side, the Gitzo is 2 inches shorter when folded. It's .05 pounds lighter. It's almost a foot taller when extended. The Gitzo holds about twice the weight. The Gitzo has a swappable tripod head, the Manfrotto is permanently attached. If that's worth the extra money, go for it.</p>

<p>Back to the gotcha. I generally use a Nikon D700 with a 14-24mm attached for landscapes. I've found with that and similar set ups, the ball head has terrible creep when either vertically and horizontally aligned. I do plan on getting a better head for it but that potentially negates the whole "lightweight, all-in-one, tiny" tripod I spent the big bucks for.</p>

<p>I'd imagine the Manfrotto (and many other setups with the ball head) has a similar issue with ball heads, and it would not be swappable if that's the case. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.</p>

<p>-Cameron</p>

<p>That Manfrotto is not supposed to be a dslr tripod. Nor are the 725b (and it's pan/tilt counterpart) and their follow-ons. But besides being larger and heavier, they can handle a dslr under some circumstances. I doubt they'll compare favorably to most Gitzo products - except in price.</p>

<p>There's a reason Gitzo tripods are expensive, they have outstanding build quality and are extremely durable. I would advise you to get the Gitzo, dump the G-1077M ballhead (Gitzo excellence doesn't extend to ballheads) and get a small Kirk or Acratech ballhead. Then you'll have a really excellent rig.</p>