Which Nikon lenses provide the most beautiful color rendition?

User_1684234

<p>Unless you're shooting color slide film or don't want to do any post processing with digital, it doesn't make much difference. I see very subtle differences in contrast and saturation with some of my Nikkors and good third party lenses. But once the digital files are tweaked the differences usually disappear.</p>

<p>That said... when I've shot color slide film I'd say the older 180/2.8 Nikkor (mine is pre-AI) produced the most gorgeous skin colors regardless of ethnicity, as well as with plants and flowers. Even with Fuji Provia that lens tended to make any slide film resemble Kodachrome.</p>

<p>Next best, 105/2.5 AI Nikkor, which is my best lens all around. Almost a tossup between it and the 180/2.8, altho' the more sophisticated multi-coating of the 105/2.5 provides a bit more snap, which isn't necessarily desirable for everything.</p>

<p>Third, a 135/3.5 Lentar T-mount preset I rescued from a pawn shop for a few bucks. One of my favorite portrait lenses for over a decade. Have used it on at least four different systems now: Nikon, Olympus, Canon and Minolta, just by changing the adapter.</p>

<p>Fourth - every other Nikkor I've used.</p>

<p>Last, a Vivitar Series 1 70-210/2.8-4. Good lens, but imparts a slight cool tint that often has to be corrected in post processing. If I white balance through the lens rather than through the WB sensor atop the D2H prism, it usually eliminates this problem.</p>

<p>Any of the Nikkor AF lenses with ED glass seem excellent. I have both the 17-55mm f2.8 and the 180mm f.2.8 and in both cases the color jumps up and smacks you in the nose. Its so powerful that I often have to desaturate slightly in PS as it does not look "real" compared to what one normally gets from other lenses. I also like the color from the 50mm f1.4 AF which is more subtle but still rich.<br /><a href="http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/peterm1_bucket/_DSC0785.jpg">http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/peterm1_bucket/_DSC0785.jpg</a></p>

<p>All of them. Seriously, this is the kind of question that has no answer. Taking a poll on Pnet won't help much, either. It will only serve to confuse you more. The reason is that this is the kind of thing <em>you </em> need to work through for yourself. Color is avery personal thing. What works for Peter, Tommy or Lex may not work for you, and you'll never know unless you try a few different lenses. Nikons are very consistent color-wise across the line.</p>

<p>Awareness of color, how it work, and your technique are infinitely more important. Any old AI'd 50/2 will deliver fabulous color, provided the eye behind the camera can see.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Seriously - I used to think that all Nikkors were the same too - but they are not. All Nikkors are good or very good. I have no doubt of that. But since lashing out and buying a couple of pro lenses (see my post above) I have seen for myself that certain top flight lenses really do seem to produce a different result color wise - I suppose that the question of whether they are better depends on your point of view. I think they are and I suppose many agree as they are willing to pay top dollar for them. If you had asked me before I would have agreed that this is a non issue - but it is not. Get your hands on (beg, borrow or steal) one of these top of the range beauties like the 180mm f2.8 or the 17-55mm f2.8 and try shooting some street scenes where there is a lot of different clothing colors. I feel sure that you too will see what I mean .</p>

<p>I've compared the 17-55 pro zoom to the 18-55 kit lens and see no difference. If anything it is very minor in my opinion. If you shoot digital far far more important is what you do with the files after. I have, however, noticed that the color of my Sigma 30 1.4 is slightly different compared to my Nikon lenses. I noticed this in situations where I was switching back and forth from the Sigma to my Nikons. I was not able to correct it with a simple custom white balance either. But this is a minor issue, neither was wrong or right, they are just different.</p>

<p>They all look good on Kodachrome 64 :). Almost all of my lenses are 20 to 50 years old, so I wouldn't know about the newer EDIFAFSVRG optics, but I agree with the previous posters about the 180mm non-AI lens (mine's got an AI ring). Also the 135mm F2.8 I used to own, and the 200mmF4 and 80-200F4.5 zoom, all non-AI. Creamy, almost liquid colors.</p>

<p>When I think back to my K25 and K64 days, I always thought there was "something" to my Nikkor 50-135 3.5<br>

I remember going to a small zoo one day and capturing pretty static images of a giraffe, and some very pretty birds and that was the first time that lens really caught my attention. Then comes the stupidity on my part of selling my 3 manual bodies and my 6 Nikkors, 24, 50, 85, 105, 50-135 and 100-300. Dumb-dumb-dumb.</p>

<p>Some people seems have trouble reading the question ? </p>

<p>Tessar, Sonnar, and few other older great lens designs - it is not what John has asked for. </p>

<p> Those great lenses were reverse engineered and duplicated by Japanese, and some of the new species exceeded original lens performance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think that the camera ( digital ) or film creates too many varables to judge one lens against another. I would agree that most Nikon lenes are excellent. I think you find suttle differes at different price points. A $200.00 plastic mount lens can be outpreformed by a $1700.00 pro grade lens (Gold ring) with nano coatings.</p>

<p>The ones used in the Pacific Northwest. Seriously though, vagaries of light aside, it's just glass. Pop Photo Mag analyzes color performance for sensors for the new models as they come out. I think this is where you should be looking. White balance, number of bits for processor, filters etc, and on top of that, personal taste. Maybe a color-enhancing Singh-ray?</p>

<p>My suggestion is aimed at injecting a lens into this thread that is both current and relatively 'modest' (ie in price, size and availibility).<br>

The one I want to mention is the 35mm f/2 AF-D.<br>

I am always super-pleased with the colour and contrast I get from it.</p>