EOS-1v and L-plates from Kirk or RRS

ryan_pasia

<p>I've got a handful of questions regarding customized L-plates from Kirk or RRS to fit EOS-1v.<br>

1) If I'm not mistaken, the customized L-plate from RRS for the EOS-1v without the booster is the B41L. Does this L-plate "hug" the camera all around? Or does it have a gap on one side, like the Kirk BL-EOS1V?<br>

2) Is the remote release socket (or any other ports for that matter) blocked by either L-plate?<br>

3) Is the Kirk BL-EOS1V compatible for use with the panning and lever release clamps from RRS?<br>

Thank you in advance for your input.</p>

<p>Ryan,</p>

<p>I can’t directly answer your questions, but I did just recently get an RSS L-plate for my

5D Mark II.</p>

<p>I called RSS before I placed the order, and the gentleman who answered was most helpful.

I’m sure whoever answers your call would be, too.</p>

<p>My L-plate is a snug fit all the way ’round, but it has openings for all the ports on the side.

I tried to pry up the rubber stopper thingies protecting the ports with the plate on and didn’t

have much luck. I think I could get them with my pocket knife, but I’ll simply pop them open

before putting the plate on next time.</p>

<p>The plate (and a ballhead) just arrived yesterday so I haven’t had a chance do do

anything “real” with it, but I <em>did</em> shoot some test panoramas with my 24mm

T/S by shifting the camera the opposite direction of the lens — keeping the lens in the same

position, essentially, and shifting the camera instead of the lens. The results are most

promising.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>I purchase all of my L brackets from Kirk and they work perfectly and are very well made.Ports are accesible but rubber covers can be stuborn to open at times only because the amount of room to access them is limited. But this is to be expected considering the inherent design of the L brackets.</p>

<p>Ryan, I believe there is some info/recommendations on RRS site and catalog about RRS clamps and plates manufactured by other than RRS, I think it has to do with the RRS QR clamps vs. the screw clamps (my preference). I like the screw clamps, I can clamp down to my satisfaction.</p>

<p>I'm fairly certain RRS doesn't routinely stock the Lplates for 1v whether they make or not any more I don't know. If buying used make sure u get the right one, I'd call RRS or KIrk for model number, I see KEH has a kirk L brack for 1v in stock.</p>

<p>good luck<br>

Tom</p>