How to adjust images for Print vs Internet

jason_barth

<p>I understand that images and colors on a screen are brighter, as light passes through the image, versus on a piece of photo paper, in which light only reflects off of it. What I don't know yet is how to calibrate for both. I have a series of images that appear perfect on the screen, but when professionally printed, they came out dark.<br>

When adjusting a photo <em>for print</em> , what is the best way to do so?<br>

For example:<br>

One could open levels in photoshop, place a mark in the center and move the entire line up slightly up.<br>

This would seem to be better than increasing Brightness.<br>

This aspect of photography I am green as grass at, but have to start learning fast. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Calibrate your monitor, get your print settings right, and voilà. If this doesn't work, get your printer calibrated, too.<br>

Do you work on a laptop, or on a PC? Is your monitor old or new? These are all things that influence the outcome.</p>

<p>And now go out and find a book on colour management :-)</p>

<p>For normal computer use users often set screen brightness high. When you look at your image on the bright monitor screen it appears good but prints dull. Turn your screen brightness down, brighten up your image and print. When you get a good print under good light place it beside the monitor screen. adjust the monitor screen until the two match (you may need to do it a few times). This is a rough and ready method that works for me, but it doesn't correct for colour shifts. Be aware that the light you view your print in effects its colour and brightness, thus need to view the print in the light it will be normally viewed in.</p>

<p>Poor man's calibration, and I'll never admit to posting this: Put your print under good light then adjust your monitor to look as close to the print as possible. The next image you PP will look closer to what you see on screen when you print it. This is a "good enough" method for casual prints.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One could open levels in photoshop, place a mark in the center and move the entire line up slightly up. This would seem to be better than increasing Brightness.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yep, gamma slider, it usually is better. Simple levels correction is always a good place to start. Sounds like you need to tweak your monitor (decrease brightness) and get yourself a book or two about digital post processing.</p>

<p>You don't have to calibrate for both paper And screen, calibrate well once and it's all good. Of course there's always some minor difference left because of the different media but no more dark and muddy prints.</p>