The Strobe: Most Valuable Tool of Photographers Today?

<p>I have been using small shoe shoe type flash for some time,even when it was that basic old Vivitar 285 HV. (You remember, yellow mode for outdoor fill, blue mode for indoors. On camera or on a bracket,whatever.) The advantage for me is that you can take a photo ,and use the sun's natural light as backlight/ side light/ fill as you choose and still get illumination in the faces and the catchlight in the eye. Modern flash takes so much of the guesswork away, it is just wonderful, so many options. But I would agree that natural light and natural reflectors are even better. There may come a day when flash will seem like a useless appendage, but not quite yet.</p><div>00UBI7-163839784.jpg.812ec6e15e25312b0040800336f3defd.jpg</div>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Manually set fill flash works great on a digital camera for taking pictures of roses. Unlike people photography, they don't mind waiting for me to get the flash/camera set just the way I want. But, since the beauty of roses is fleeting, I often don't have the opportunity to wait for better light.</p>