Travel Tripod for Canon 40D

june_daley

<p>Hi Guys</p>

<p>I'm after a tripod to take travelling around Europe - for night time photography - needs to be the usual light, compact + cost effective (near impossible to find it seems!) BUT - I also want a tripod that DOESN'T have a quick release plate. I had a tripod once that screws directly onto the camera, rather than screwing the camera onto the quick release plate and then attaching that to the tripod. I find that much easier. Any suggestions? What do you use as a travel tripod? I currently own a Velbon Video Tripod, bought it for about $100 and it's fine but I don't like the quick release plate.</p>

<p>well, when I move my camera around on the tripod the screw on the quick release comes a bit loose, which means I have to take the camera off, tighten it up, then stick it back on again. I've just had a look at some ball head tripods... would they fix this problem, as it looks like the ball is the part that moves when you adust the tripod angle and not the quick release plate?</p>

<p>Tripods are tough to decide on ( so many factors ) It seems you can get any 2 of these 3 things. Light, affordable or sturdy. If you want light and sturdy you have to spend over $500,look at gitzo.<br>

I think to get something pretty good you should spend in the $200 to $300 dollar range. Look at Manfrotto. I also picked up a little Manfrotto table tripod for $40 that is only a few inchs when its folded but its very useful when I do not want to carry a full size tripod. ( which is almost never )</p>

<p>The quick release plate shouldn't loosen that easily. Maybe you need to tighten it up some more. One problem with "video" tripod heads is that some aren't designed to use in "portrait" so they don't deal well with twisting forces. Some video cameras/video plates have an added stud to deal with twist but they don't fit many (any?) still camera bases.</p>

<p>The whole point of the almost universal use of quick release systems is to avoid the need to screw the camera on/off a base of some sort. There are some heads with different release systems available including the traditional threaded stud.</p>

<p>I happen to have a Bogen/Manfotto 725B which has been replaced by the 7302yb. these come with an integrated version of the 484rc2 head. I've found that I seldom if even have to remove the plates and don't have twisting problems.</p>

<p>I have never had loosening problems with the quick release pads Slik puts on the 300-400 DX style heads, but I tend not to do a lot of vertical shots. The Slik pads have a folding wing nut rather than a coin slot, making them very easy to tighten.</p>

<p>If you are looking at Manfrottos, check for the availability of what they call "architectural plates" for whatever system you're looking at. One of these will probably solve your loosening problems.</p>

<p>I found when I started using a ball head that the loosening problem became worse, because you move the camera itself, rather than using the tripod handles to change position. So every time you pan to the left, it will tend to unscrew, more so if your ball head has a fair amount of residual drag, as it should. If you get a ball head, I'd definitely recommend either an architectural plate, or some other type of custom or modified plate to prevent camera rotation.</p>

<p>Not a tripod strictly speaking, but have you considered a beanbag? Lighter and less cumbersome. If you can find nearby structures like a railing, car or even a piece of luggage, you can take decently long exposures with one. While "beans" they are pretty rigid and sturdy and can point the camera upwards on a flat table at least 45 degrees. It's light and while you may look silly, you can shoot with it attached to the camera all day. I use <a href="http://www.thepod.ca/">THE pod</a> but there are other similar products.</p>

<p>Hello June-<br>

Determine how much weight you want to carry, how small it needs to collapse and how tall it goes. You might find you need to bend down a bit to use but that is better than having a taller flimsy model.<br>

Manfrotto makes lots of legs, be sure to either look them over or get a return policy - the quality and method of operation can vary. Most people do not purchase a Manfrotto head however - see below.<br>

You can't go wrong with Gitzo legs. They used to come with a lifetime guarantee so check the used market. A Tota, Sport (both series 1) are lighter than the Reporter (series 2). The Studex (series 3) is much larger/heavier.<br>

Check out the Vanguard SBH-200 head. The "quick-release" on this and most ball heads can be removed too allow use of standard screw. Also check out the Giottos MH1301.<br>

Both are noted here as being a good value:<br>

http://www.photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00Svt2</p>

<p>Don't know if you are still looking for a tripod to travel with, but what I use is a Velbron PHD-310. It will only hold a limited amount of weight. Such as a DSLR and a lens of either wide angle or medium tele-photo ability. It is not designed to hold anything over nine pounds. The Velbron is five section and collaspes to less than 12" and cost about $140.00. I love it. It also has a metal head grip release, and never loses it's durability. Good luck. A great tripod it is!</p>