Buying a Lee Filter...

jasna_hodzic

<p>I'm going to buy a 77mm Lee Grad ND filter soon. I have never bought a Cokin style filter before, so I had a few questions.<br>

When I buy the filter, I need to purchase both the filter I want and a holder, correct? Does the type of holder matter? For a 40d, would it just be the "Foundation Kit" holder?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Surely if you are going to spend all that money on top-line resin squares, you wouldn't want to mount it in some cheap Cokin or even third-party mount (<a href="http://www.fotodiox.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=280">link</a> )? That's like using Chevy wheels on your Ferrari to mount your $500 racing tires.</p>

<p>Enjoy. There are some pretty good photographers who seem to use graduated NDs, anyhow, in nearly every picture, to judge from their websites, and for that level of use it makes sense to buy the most expensive, I suppose.</p>

<p>yes, you generally need a holder although some advanced users tend to simply put the filter up against the front element so they have more flexibility as far as placement and 'speed'. The foundation holder is what you want. The filter is 100mm wide so if you decided to go w/ the Cokin, you'd need their Z-Pro holder and for only a few $$ more, you could get the Lee which is a better, more flexible holder.</p>

<p>Another good and less expensive filter is made in the UK by Formatt and sold under the name Hitech. In price they are more than the Cokin but still much less than Lee or SR.</p>