Minolta 5400 scanner

<p>My b&w film scans from the Minolta Scan Elite 5400 (version 1) have too much contrast. The software does not allow the full range of the film to fit inside the histogram. Shadows and highlights get clipped no matter how I configure the scan software. Image textures are quite harsh and I can't reduce the contrast in Photoshop. By comparison, it's no problem with my Epson flat bed scanner.<br>

Does anyone have experience scanning the whole tonal range of a b&w negative with the Minolta software? Would I be better off using Vuescan or Silverfast? </p>

<p>You could try scanning as a slide, and then working the output in Photoshop. Or Vuescan: go with the Pro License and try the Vuescan Raw File workflow. Rrocess the raw file as Black&White (in the Input Tab), and then in the Color Tab try: TMAX400 with D76ci:.55 for starters. Keep your White point low, and play with Curve Low and High to improve contrast.</p>

<p>See my very first post here ;)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/003dav">http://www.photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/003dav</a></p>

<p>David, do your negatives print well in a wet darkroom?<br>

If not, maybe your "full range" issue has more to do with your exposure and development than with scanner and software. <br>

For example, some of us think Rodinal @ 1+100, stand processed, works wonders...and others prefer something softer, such as Diafine. </p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I'll try to scan as a positive slide just for comparison, but will seriously consider Vuescan as the best solution. John, I expose and process my negatives for a softer (though not too soft) contrast to be sure I get the full range of tones. As we know, it's easier to add contrast. I don't like the blown highlights and dark shadows look for the vast majority of my pictures, whether darkroom printed or scanned digitally. I've developed hundreds of rolls of 35mm and 120 film the past few years and have the developing zeroed in to my taste. I've been very successful with 120 film scanned on my Epson flatbed. It's the Minolta that's given me bad results and thanks to you guys there is hope for it. </p>

<p>The 5400 v1 definitely will clip the shadows if you scan a B/W in the negative mode. I have always had good experience scanning as a positive and adjusting the exposure gain to make sure there is no clipping. Then reverse and adjust with curves in photoshop. Done this way the scanner is quite capable of capturing the full range of a contrasty B/W neg.</p>

You could try SilverFast as well. There are free demo versions for the 5400.

The SE Plus version for your Minolta is about $100 and it features Multi-Exposure, which maybe helps a lot.

It increases the scanners dynamic range, thus scanning every detail in the lights and shadows. SilverFast won't cut any histograms.

<br>Info on Multi-Exposure: http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Multi-Exposure