remotely triggered speelite - AND the (40d) built-in?

kvon

<p>So I've got a Speelite 580EXII, triggered remotely with a pair of pocket wizards. For (temporary) budget reasons, would like to use this WITH the built-in flash for a multiple flash setup. Seems like a slam dunk, the speedlite/PW trigger works, but when I turn on the built-in flash the speedlite stops working. More specifically, the speedlite goes off but it appears to be a preflash and isn't actually showing up in the shot.<br>

Is this a configuration issue, or is this disabled by "design"?<br>

Any help appreciated!</p>

<p>Even if you could get this setup to work, would it not be a problem that the popup flash can only do E-TTL but the 580 on the PocketWizard must operate in manual mode? So you would not have complete control over the output of the popup flash.</p>

<p>Would your budget stretch to an inexpensive manual flash (Vivitar 285HV / used Nikon SB-28 or Canon 540EZ, or similar)? Another 580EX would be overkill for the second flash because your Pocket Wizard setup cannot use E-TTL. To save buying a second PW, you could trigger it using your 40D's PC socket, or use an optical trigger (if the ambient light will not be too bright).</p>

<p>I think this is making sense, but not sure...<br>

So I can't really expect that this setup will work, is what I think NK Guy is saying? And Gerry, is your suggestion to use both flashes in manual mode? Because based on NK Guy's statement, if I were to use the 580 EX on camera, E-TTL, and trigger the 2nd flash through the PW, it would essentially be the same thing as what I'm attempting now - yes?<br>

Thanks for your patience - I'm pretty new to this stuff.</p>

<p>(Disregard previous message - instead, I would like to say:)<br>

Do I understand this correctly - if I'm using multiple flashes, in any number and/or any configuration, I can't mix TTL & manual sync flashes? It's gotta be all of the same type?</p>

<p>Yes, you should use all your flashes in manual mode, or all in E-TTL mode. Unfortunately, with your existing setup, you have one flash that only works in E-TTL mode (the camera's popup flash) and another that only works in manual mode (the 580 cannot do E-TTL because you are using Pocket Wizards to fire it). Your choices are:</p>

<ul>

<li>Get another manual flash and use an additional PW to fire it (or, to save money, use a cable connected to the camera's PC socket, or perhaps an optical slave if working indoors or in subdued light). If you do this, do not buy another 580EX -- get a cheaper flash because you will only be using it in manual mode. There's a strong argument for getting a non-Canon flash because anything older than the 580EX II will need an adapter (or some electrical modification) in order for you to plug in your PW cable.</li>

<li>Get a second 580EX (or a used 550EX), abandon the PWs and use one flash on the camera's hot shoe and the other triggered by the first flash via Canon's infrared system. The advantage is E-TTL. The disadvantage is infrared (line of sight, unreliable in bright light).</li>

<li>Get a second Canon EX flash and a Canon ST-E2 transmitter to fire the two flashes. Same advantages and disadvantages as the previous option, but you get to have two flashes off-camera. However, it's more expensive. </li>

</ul>

<p>I would go for the first option and do a lot of reading on the <a href="http://strobist.blogspot.com/"><strong>Strobist</strong> </a> web site and on Photo.Net's own lighting forum.</p>