<p>No one can make you feel better.</p>

<p>Nothing prophetic except the age old comment: time heals all grief.</p>

<p>He was the best. No one can take that from him.</p>

<p>Through you and this board he will live forever.</p>

<p>My sincerest condolences,<br>

Bob</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Justin,</p>

<p>Very sorry to hear this. Caney is part of us. His exemplary spirit will stay on with us. He is more than a friend. He is the perfect model for great companionship. I need a hug at 4:00am in the morning. I can only wish your pictures remind you of good memory of friendship and I know Caney don't want you and Aim to stay sad. My sincere condolences to you and all friend of Caney. </p>

<p>With hugs,<br>

Hin</p>

<p>When we go to the local animal shelter we see many creatures who were left abandoned or treated roughly by those uncaring few who walk the earth.</p>

<p>In contrast, your Caney had a great life and left it in a dignified way. None of us can want more than that. My condolences to you and yours.</p>

<p>Justin</p>

<p>After "putting down" our Golden several years back, the priest at our church said ". . . dogs don't believe in God . . . they believe in people". That's what makes these things so difficult.<br>

My thoughts are with you and your family.<br>

Dan</p>

<p>Justin, I am so sorry to hear about a greatly loved dog passing and I feel so sad for its owners. I know how difficult it is to put one down. I have owned dogs all of my life and must say that my current dog Franklin is my best friend. In my experience, there is no point in long-term grieving.</p>

<p>I think that the most difficult thing about living and bonding with a dog is that we forget that they have comparatively short lives and we unconsciously expect them to be around forever, like the people in our lives. I know how difficult it is to lose a best friend that has shared so much and offer my condolences.<br>

When you are in the mood to do it, read a book entitled "The Art of Racing in the Rain". There's a premise (regarding dogs) in it that may come to pass......</p>

<p>Oh, Justin, I'm so sorry. Caney has led a great life, and you've done well by him. I'm sure that he has crossed the Rainbow Bridge and is waiting with other well-loved pets for when you and Aimee will join him. <br>

His life was full and meaningful, and thank god you knew when it was time so he did not suffer. <br>

God bless you both during this difficult time.</p>

<p>Justin and Aimee,<br>

So sorry for your loss. I have lost furry friends as well and know how it hurts. He is not gone. You will remember him always and in so many wonderful ways and places. Sometimes it will hurt and there will be tears but you will smile as well. From the comments of others and your pictures, I can see that you two shared a wonderful companion and he had two wonderful humans. It doesn't get better than that.<br>

Howard</p>

<p>I just came back from a long weekend out of town to find this thread. My deepest condolences. I believe that for owners who are willing to listen, dogs can teach us a great deal about unconditional love, living in the moment and making the most out of life's experiences. I think that Caney was fortunate to have such human companions, as much as his humans were fortunate to have him.</p>

<p>Your post, and the replies, tore me up. Has it really only been three years since I held my beloved Lupo in my arms that one last time? I know what you're feeling. I'm feeling it all over again - but I don't curse you, nor your post, I applaud it. Remembering the love we had for our pets is a great thing. Thank you for sharing...</p>

<p>My heartfelt condolances...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Justin, believe it or not, I joined here today because of Caney (and you, as well). I'm kind of a quiet person (OK, a lurker), but felt compelled to add my voice to all who wish you nothing but the best. While the sorrow and grief are real, hope and optomism will be not far behind. I'm sure that's the way Caney saw life.<br>

My guy, Marley, is almost the same age as Caney and we walk the urban "trails" everday. It's always a special time, even when he's pulling me somewhere I don't want to be. In some ways it's a time outside of normal time. In that respect, Justin, the memories are more than special, greater than priceless - they're timeless.<br>

Take care, be well and when you're ready send some good posts!</p>

<p> </p>

<p >I just wanted to thank everyone for the comments and well wishes.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >It's kinda funny I suppose. I've been lucky to not have too many deaths of friends and family in my life, but I never was distraught over them like I was (am) with Caney. Putting him down was easy, much easier than I thought, but missing him has been a lot harder.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >When my mom died of cancer I only cried before she died when she was fighting it and suffering. My mom had a date set, and she stuck to it. No idea why September 5<sup>th</sup> was the day but sure enough she passed on that day after checking every day for the last week if it was Sept 5<sup>th</sup> yet. I always felt bad that I didn't feel a stronger sense of loss or sadness at her funeral. When my grandma died I didn't go to her funeral because I had a regents exam, and then it was summer and life moved on fast.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >My family has a way of sort of joking off death (or conversely celebrating life) which is a lot different than what most people do. Probably many would consider it disrespectful, and I always have to keep my mouth shut at other families funerals because we are a weird group, but it's just the way we deal with things, it took me a few days before I could laugh about Caney.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I spent the last month (yeah it did take a month, Border Collies never forget and just when I thought I was done...) apologizing to that dog daily for every time I left him at home for a trip that was humans only, and I felt bad he didn't get to do everything he wanted. How unlucky WE ALL were, and all that.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Caney was never shy about letting you know he didn't appreciate you, he wasn't a dog that lay at your feet (or on your lap) because you were the master and he was the dog. He let you know when you did good, and when you were a disappointment to him. No free passes like with some dogs. At the same time the love, appreciation and loyalty he showed was special too. That was sort of the magic of him.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The reality is we were all lucky. There is the remote possibility he could have ended up with someone else who spent 100 nights a year in a tent on a good year (and a few dozen on a bad year), but being a pound puppy on suburban Long Island the odds were he might have been lucky to have been rescued by an avid jogger, anything else has about the same odds as him being there at that moment on June 8th and us seeing him. He very well could have been a typical suburban canine lawn ornament if we hadn't found him. Humans are capable of appreciating good fortune, dogs only know what they didn't get to do. That makes things harder of people who love them like they were people.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >A lot of things had to go right for us to find him and have him for 10 years in the first place, and while it was way too short, and we didn't do nearly as much as we wanted, we were all lucky...even if dog and human didn't appreciate it all the time.</p>

<p ><br /> <br /> There really wasn't a period of time that I didn't wonder what circumstances would cause anyone to drop a beautiful, sweet, four month old housebroken (stubborn and untrainable) BC off at the shelter, but there also wasn't a time that I wasn't thankful and felt fortunate that they did. That remains true today, and in a large part because of everyone here and elsewhere who have reminded me of that!</p>

<p > </p>

<p >So thank you all again!</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>so sorry for your loss, ten days ago I had to put down, Shakespeare the wonder dog, because of a cancerous tumour in his abodmen, such a sneaky disease, it grows quietly<br>

upon the vet's recommendation we put him down, I was with him at the end. he was ten years seven months, such a great friend. such a huge hole in my life that he filled</p>