a good interesting, easy read book on how to take pics

michelle_collins1

<p>i bought the canon rebel xs a month ago, and i have taken some really good pics, people even have asked me to blow them up and give them a copy. but iam still learning. I need a book that explaines all the different types of flash use (like bounce) I have a external flash that fit on my Grandpas manual slr and i can put the flash vertical, horizontal, and then actually move the bulb to face the sky or ground, left or right that fits my canon. Its an oldie, probley from the late 70s or early 80s. its a kmart focal 400 bounce type flash, it has a dail on it that i can put in the info i have the flash in manual. i tried it on my canon and it works, but i can't find any info if the volts are 6 or higher. i also need a good explaination about lenses. the next lens i want to buy is the 55-250. is this okay for a learning hobbiest like me. iam going to italy next year and won't be able to lug alot of lenses around. i need the book to be an easy read because if its very techenical, i get confused and my brain wanders off and i have to keep rereading everything.</p>

<p>also one more question, when i take my pics to walmart they turn out darker then whats on my lcd and computer. it worked out really thou because it was a sunset pics so it kinda made the pic nicer, but how can i stop this</p>

<p>michelle</p>

<p>I found Scott Kelyby's books on digital photography to be really helpful when I got my camera (canon xsi), they explain things in a way that someone who doesn't know all the technical terms yet can understand. If memory serves, he discusses flash a lot in volume two.</p>

<p>I have the 55-250 and feel like it was a good value for the money spent, it is very lightweight and has been very useful, I would say it might not focus quite as fast as some other canon lenses, but for the price, I have been very happy with it. The other lens I have that is a really good value for the money is the 50/1.8, for about $100 it was a great way to get a fast lens that will let me take pictures indoors in lower light or in places where flash isn't allowed.</p>

<p>You might want to try a different printer- I really like mpix.com and have also used adorama.com, in general, I have found any print that comes by mail to be of more uniform quality than what I get at an in-store developer, just b/c the instore places have less in the way of quality controls and you are very dependent on who is manning the machine that day. I got really lucky at a Walgreens for a while, there was a really great employee in photo, but then she left and quality visibly plummeted. You might also want to look into monitor calibration, I think there are some articles on photo.net, there are devices you can buy (and rent) that let you calibrate your monitor color/brightness to a uniform standard.</p>

<p>Hi Michelle and welcome to the light side. I would be willing to bet that the flash from your grandfathers manual SLR does not have a trigger voltage that is safe for your camera. If the expence of a newer Canon flash is out of range you should look for other compatible types or at least do a search on a thing called a 'safe sync' to protect your new camera.</p>

<p>For books I can recommend 'Photography' by Phil Davis, the 7th edition was printed in 1995. I found a used one on the internet a couple of months ago for short money. Good introductory, not too technical. Another one to get is 'Light Sience & Magic' by Hunter, Biver and Fuqua. Again not overly technical but explains just about everything you will need to know about managing light.</p>

<p>For web sites I second the recommendation to the strobist. For lens descriptions you should give a visit to <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/10d300dlenses.html">this page</a> at Bob Atkins Photography. It's a little dated as it doesn't have a reference to the 55-250 but good food for thought. There are also places on that site that can explain the 'why' part about lens optics when you feel the need to get a bit more technical.</p>

<p>Michelle,<br>

I've had my XSI for about 6 months, so I'm still learning. That said, I have the 55-250 IS and can say I like it pretty well. It is not what I need for lower light photography, but with daylight it does just fine. For what they are worth, my portfolio shots here, all three of them, are with the XSI and 55-250.<br>

I recently bought a used 430EX flash and am still learning to use it. That said, bouncing it off the ceiling does make for some nice color in my shots. No examples to give you right now though.<br>

I used Scott Kelby's first book on digital photography. It was pretty easy to understand and helped lay a good foundation. Then I read Photographing Children and Babies by Michal Heron. She talks some about flash, but focuses more on using natural light. She shows how to make a simple "studio" using natural light and a reflector in one's garage. She talks about photographing children at various ages, even through the teen years. What she has to say about taking good photos of children can be applied to taking good photos of just about anyone - it is all in the principles. So, it might not be a book on the specific topic you need, but it is well written and not too technical. If people photography is something you want to learn more about, you could do worse than this book.<br>

I would also recommend reading pretty much everything in the learning section of this web site too.<br>

I hope this helps.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>If you're shootnig with any Canon EOS camera then I would highly recommend this book: <a href="http://www.jackthehat.co.uk/canon-dslr-ultimate-photographers-guide-p-310.html">link</a>. It covers most aspects of photography but is particulary useful because it is centred around the Canon EOS system and shows you how each shot is taken and what settings were used on the camera.</p>