Cleaning Canon 4600 print heads

I replaced my 5-year old economically uncleanable Canon 950i with a new, well-rated (at least by Consumer Reports)

PIXMA 4600 at the same price that would be my out-of-warranty minimum cost at my Canon-approved service

provider--plus any replacement parts required, so that seemed a reasonable deal (the price direct from Canon was at

15% off the "suggested retail price", which seemed to be consistent with what I could sample on the web, and

included free overnight FedEx shipping). I'm not a professional with professional-printer needs and I'd been happy

enough with the 950i for its several functional years.

A couple questions: I opted (too late--I've already received the 4600, but I'm curous) for the 4600 based partly on the

reviews and partly on the fact that, of the under $200 Canon photoprinters (my budget), the 4600 has about 4300

print nozzles in contrast to the "all-in-one" Canons that each have about 2,200 print nozzles, reasoning that printing

quality ought to be somewhat better with the 4600; however, I belatedly realized that 4300 or so nozzles are even

more likely to clog than 2,200. Right?

Second, the Canon tech support person said I should make a few prints at least once a week to help keep the

nozzles wet and clear. Is that about right, or should I be printing even more often to achieve that maintenance

purpose?