EOS 50D Upgrade

obelix

<p>Anyone any ideas when the 50D will be upgraded. I think it would probably be the beginning of next year sometime.<br>

I don't have a Canon body at the moment, I do have a Nikon D60. But I'm going to Egypt in May and July next year, so I don't want to buy a 50D and then a month or two afterwards an upgrade is out.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>There's always a new model around the bend. However if it does what you need, get it now. Otherwise roll the dice and wait for the next big thrill.</p>

<p>The 50D was only released Fall 2008 so it won't be replaced soon. However, I speculate a sister model will soon appear--with HDVideo, useless gimmick features & more MP than any non-printing photogeek will ever need--perhaps pushing the 50D to the 40D's old tier in the range. If that happens, the 50D price will drop a benjamin or two.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>If anybody knows they ain't talking, but as an aside, Canon has taken to "updating" (note the quotes) the existing models without any regard to the heritage of the particular camera line so it is hard to tell whether any "replacement" for the 50D will even resemble its predecessor...<br>

For instance, the 10D, 20D, 30D and 40D were straight updates, and even the 50D can be considered evolutionary, but the newer updates to the Rebel and 5D lines go beyond (and sideways) of a simple update/refresh with fundamental changes and randomly added features alien to the model’s heritage.<br>

So if the 50D works for you now in terms of its feature set, performance and ergonomics, it will be as good a year from now. OTOH we are a long way from May 2010.</p>

<p>i just said it elsewhere, but it does bear repeating here. don't buy any cameras until at least 2025. there will be improvements made constantly, so any money invested in bodies will be wasted to depreciation. i'd wait till at least 2035 just to be safe. i can't imagine how good that generation of cameras will be.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 50D was only released Fall 2008 so it won't be replaced soon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yep, but <em>something</em> in the next month or so is likely - a 40D replacement in essence - and it might be better than PF suggests, if Canon has decided to start taking Nikon's recent improvements seriously.</p>

<p>I haven't ruled that out myself...</p>

• 3 weeks later...