Photography kit

<p>Im a beginner in photography and i was wondering what would i need in order to have my own in house photo studio. I have a Nikon D90 camera and was wondering if anyone knows where i can find an affordable photography kit including good quality backdrops and lighting (i dont know anything about backdrops but i think i read theres an HD one, idk the difference, i just know HD is good lol). I saw a package for $700 but thats a little too steep. does anyone know any good sites, or stores in the nyc area????<br /> <br /> side note, i would also like to use the backdrop for simple music videos, like all white background type of videos. idk if that makes a difference or not???</p>

<p>An "HD" backdrop? As in "High Definition"? If so, I think someone may be pulling your leg. Reminds me of an old Peanuts comic strip in which Charlie Brown is perplexed by a girl's claim that she has a "hi-fi bracelet".</p>

<p>The Strobist site is fine if you plan to stick with battery powered hotshoe type flashes and low budget improvised solutions. But it's not the best solution if you plan to use studio type monolights or pack lights. I don't think Strobist ever intended to be considered a replacement for advice about studio lighting but that site seems to be recommended too often when it's not appropriate for a specific type of solution. It's mostly advice that would be relevant to the photojournalist or anyone working in locations where electricity is not readily available for studio flash.</p>

<p>Also, trying to force battery powered flashes into service as studio lights will eventually prove to be an exercise in frustration. The lack of modeling lights makes it difficult to adjust the flash for best results. And battery powered flashes are slow to recycle, have low output when used with umbrellas or diffusers and cannot withstand the heavy duty cycle that studio flash is designed for.</p>

<p>If you want good info on using studio lights and modifiers try these:<br>

<a href="http://ny.webphotoschool.com/"> NY Web Photo School</a><br>

<a href="http://www.studiolighting.net/">Studio Lighting net</a></p>

<p>After reviewing those tutorials you'll have a better idea of what to buy. You'll also find tutorials on websites for manufacturers of studio lighting and modifiers. Try AlienBees, Photek, Photoflex, Westcott and others.</p>

<p>Thanks for the correction Lex. Being a wildlife "natural light" with occasional fill flash kind of guy, I knew I should have held back on this one. That's what I get for having a slow day at work and believing what I read. Makes more sense now that you fill in the details.</p>

<p>this is not such an easy question. being new to photography, as you describe yourself, it's tricky to decide whether to suggest something of high quality that you can continue to use for many years, but which will cost you (like the $700 package), or something simpler and less costly that you may outgrow at some point. it kind of depends on how serious you are, and whether you'll stick with it.<br>

i'll stick my neck out at bit here. my local photo shop sells promaster brand gear. it's chinese manufacture product, but of decent quality. when i wanted to get my hands on some basic lighting gear to learn the ropes, i bought one of their $250 basic lighting kits -- 2 lights, stands, umbrellas, sync cords and a case. it's not big or powerful enough for business use, but for home studio work as one learns and tries different things, it is more than adequate. i've had a lot of fun with it, even though i have known all along that it isn't pro gear, and that i'd replace it eventually.<br>

not suggesting you follow my footsteps, and i'm not promoting any particular brand. i'm using myself as an example that might be instructive, depending on your own goals. good luck.</p>