Underwater Cameras

<p>I'm getting married next month and will be heading down to the Virgin Islands for my Honeymoon where we'll be doing a lot of snorkeling and scuba diving. I haven't done much underwater photography (just disposable underwater cameras snorkeling in the past) but would like to get one to have for the trip. Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for/buy? I know one of the factors is the depth to which you can take them....I may be doing some shallow scuba diving but mostly we'll be snorkeling so I don't need a camera that will go down a hundred feet or more. Any help is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Hi Tyler,<br>

Congratulations. I live in the BVI and would suggest the best compromise would be a decent P&S and a housing. Several companies do them now, I own a Canon G10 and Canon housing, got tax free down here for less than $500 for the two. The reason I suggest that route is because all the cameras that can go underwater without a housing are too much of a compromise for me, but you might think otherwise.</p>

<p>If you don't have a good choice where you live don't worry, there are very good stocks down here in St Thomas at Boulchands and Royal Caribbean and they will do deals.</p>

<p>Hope you have fun, Scott.</p>

<p>If you already have a point 'n shoot camera, check and see if anyone makes an underwater housing for it. That could be the cheapest way to go (outside of disposible underwater cameras). If you need to buy a new camera, the underwater point 'n shoot cameras would then be the cheapest option. However, because of their design, they would lack some features found on normal (not waterproof) cameras. Also, some of those cameras only go down about ten feet, which would be insufficient for scuba diving. If features such as full manual control are important to you, a camera like the Canon G10 and its corresponding underwater enclosure would be a good way to go. Finally, another option (if you already own a camera) is an EWA Marine undewater bag. They are reletively inexpensive, but can be difficult to operate the camera controls through, especially the deeper underwater you go.</p>

<p>Got this for Mrs. Me. It works great. Cannot comment on underwater flash, that'll obvious reflect a lot of water-suspended debris. But it's great and handy. Good to ten meters of depth (32 feet)-<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021805canond10.asp<br>

Beats the pants off a P&S in a pricey ziplock bag.<br>

Images are positively beautiful.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>I've got a D10 and an SD900 with an underwater housing. The advantage to the D10 is that you'll have sound on your movies (if you shoot any). The quality of the photos on both are fantastic. I like the housing because it protects the LCD well, but it is a bit of a nuisance. If I had to buy only one camera, I'd give some serious consideration to Scott Ferris' suggestion of a G10 with a housing. In my experience, the bags just aren't worth it. If you don't purchase a camera tested rated for use underwater, I would buy a housing made specifically for your camera. Flash is potentially an issue with all of the P&S's under water, though I think the D10 is a great compromise. If this were my only camera, though, I'm not certain I would have purchased it... It's bulky and lacks a good wide angle. I also prefer shooting in RAW, which it lacks. That being said, though, it's probably the best compromise in features, as its photos are fantastic.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all the responses. All are appreciated. To fill in some questions and return comments, I have a Canon Rebel XT with several lenses as my "land" camera. I don't know if they make a housing for that and I would imagine putting that in marine bags wouldn't be the best option.<br>

While the D10 looks like a great camera, I'm leaning towards the G10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the G10 seems like it is just about the nicest camera you can get without going to an SLR. I think it would not only work great for this trip but would be an asset in general because I could use it for more "artistic" pictures on land when I'm traveling (or shooting in bad weather, going on a boat, etc) and can't or do not want to tote along the big back pack with my SLR and multiple lenses. Once again correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you could probably get some pictures with the G10 that you could print poster size and frame for your wall. I know it isn't a top of the line SLR, but it seems like if that is all you had with you that you could still capture pictures worthy of framing.<br>

Anyone have any objections to a G10 with a housing? Any negatives with the G10? Aside from price, are there any advantages to the D10 over the G10 with a housing?<br>

Thanks again for all the comments!</p>

<p>Tyler,</p>

<p>I have been using the G10, with and without housing for 9 months now, I have no complaints at all, the scare stories of bad high iso performance are not justified, at 400 iso the images can be worked absolutely perfectly, images shot at 80 iso on a tripod in good light are crazy good quality, http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml ,used well and within its abilities the G10 is a very very good camera.</p>

<p>Poster sized prints are no problem if you are working from a correctly exposed file, I only shoot RAW, always expose to the right and it will amaze you.</p>

<p>I truly have no negatives from my time with my G10, battery life is very good, image quality superb, the housing works well and is not too big and bulky. Hope you have fun, Scott.</p>

• 2 weeks later...