didn't, but they do offer packages similar to Kalimex's, like

a 88 with cloth shutter, flocked interior and P-six mount (for

a mere $400.)

I don't have any idea whether their service is any good, whether

they are selling junk or not, or if they have a return policy or

not. I haven't bought anything from them yet. But their prices

are fabulous, and they do respond to e-mail, so I thought at least

some of you MF Digest Kiev people would be interested. As always

(and especially with Kiev equipment,) buyer beware.

Regards,

I'd like to make this as brief as possible.

As someone who has been buying/selling/using Kiev equipment for some years, I have to present, yet again, the major consideration: the fact is that the Aresenal (maker of Kiev) factory's FA&T (= final assembly and test) is simply horrid. If you are going to successfully use Kiev equipment, which is a reasonable thing to do, you will have to overcome that fact.

<br><br>

There are three ways to accomplish this:

<br><br>

1. If you buy the equipment from a place like Kiev USA, they sell you ordinary, production-line Kiev equipment which they have gone over, calibrated, adjusted, etc., etc. -- and which they are willing to guarantee to you.

<br><br>

It costs something to do this. Hence, you will pay more than the "factory" price.

<br><br>

2. You can buy from Kalimex. The cameras which Kalimex sells are Kiev cameras, but they are not made in the Arsenal factory / not made on regular Arsenal production lines. The Kalimex-sourced equipment is Kiev equipment which is built at a different factory, also located in Kiev, Ukraine. However, this factory is equipped with a lot of modern European production equipment. This is why, for example, you can get any of the Kiev lenses as MC from Kalimex. Only two or so of the Kiev lenses are available as MC from Arsenal; Kalimex has things essentially custom manufactured.

<br><br>

It is much higher quality, and it costs more ... Someone had to pay to get that equipment to Kiev and get that factory set up!

<br><br>

Hence, equipment you buy from Kalimex is likely to be of much higher quality than what you buy from the Arsenal production line.

<br><br>

3. You can buy Kiev equipment off the Arsenal production line. The quality is very spotty, to say the least, but the prices are very low.

<br><br>

This is what I've done for most of my Kiev gear over the years. But it has required a fair investment in analysis, time, and expense to get the equipment working well. My Kiev equipment works well -- but it was by no means "free" to get it into that state.

<br><br>

The equipment being sold by http://www.camera.kiev.ua/ is, apparently, off-the-production-line Kiev equipment.

<br><br>

Your choice is simple: pay me now, or pay me later. There simply is no free lunch. It is possible to make a real "go"of Kiev equipment, but you cannot do it at Kiev factory prices...

<br><br>

Don Feinberg

<br>

donf@cybernex.net

I have spoken to Michael Fourman who is the proprietor of Kiev Camera. I am led to understand that he has colleagues in the Ukraine who modifies standard Kiev cameras. I asked him about his return policy and he told me that If I was not satisfied I was to send the camera back and he would give me another one. He also tells me that he has no repair facilities of his own which is why he simply replaces them. Having studies the wealth of material on Kiev cameras I have come to the conclusion that there are many small independants who conduct their business in an informal (but I must stress completely honest) way. The choice the customer must make is whether to accept the stability of an established company like Kiev USA or take a leap of faith and try one of the smaller (and less expensive) alternatives. I think that if you can be modarately sure that the smaller independants are worth a try only if you can be reasonably assured that they will still be around when you need them. With regard to Kalimex they can probably be regarded as the European equivalent of Kiev USA but with lower prices. I am still trying to decide who to do business with. On one hand Kalimex seem large and established with an excellent product range but can be very slow in getting back to me. Kiev Camera are quick responders but I have no idea of their structure. You Americans are quite lucky. At least you have one home grown repair facility. If you ask a British repair company to repair a Kiev the give you a bag and a small shovel and tell you to give it a decent burial. However take heart even unmodified Kiev 88s are better than the truly dreadful Zenith 80.

I have a Kiev 88 kit, 300mm, and 65mm lens from Kiev Camera. I ran two test roll in each back and tested the system and lens. I found the light meter a 1/2 stop off. Other wise the system and lens perform well.

Since June, I shoot two rolls a weekend and have no problems. My results are amazing for the cost.

Mike has been fast to respond, and very good in my dealings. As others have noted he does not do repairs. You can look for that else where posted on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have Purchased from Mike 3 times this fall. I returned a K88 which had an obscure problem, but was really the wrong camera for my application. (astrophotography, I exchanged it for a K60).

The K60 is flocked etcetra and has the ML feature. The TTL meter is right on. The film spacing is a bit wide but consistant. It is as good a 2 1/4 camera as I have owned.

Mike has come up with great buys on two used but 1st rate lenses for the camera. I highly reccommend Mike (Kiev Camera) and recommend Kiev Camera for non-professional photographers. I will be odereing from Kiev Camera again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've dealt with Mike Fourman on several occasions and will continue to do so. The quality of Kiev products is questionable at best, but I've had good luck with my stuff and Mike will make sure you're happy. I had a new back I hadn't used, but when I did, it kept locking the camera up. The 30 day warranty was up, but Mike said "Send it back" and he sent me a new one.

I recently bought a 30MM Arsat lens for the Kiev 88 from Mike and can honestly say I haven't had so much photographic fun in 30 years! For under a couple hundred bucks you will be amazed!

• 1 year later...
In January I purchased a Kiev 88CM with a spotmeter. The body has a cloth shutter, relocated shutter release, Kiev 60 type lens mount, and new style film backs. The film backs are much easier to load. The spotmetered finder is not coupled with the camera but works well. The only complaint I have is the battery cover. It has a plastic top that came off the first time I checked the batteries. If you have the proper screw driver this is not a problem and the cap looks ok without the black plastic top. I have purchased several cameras and lens from Mike and have no complaints with his service. The Kiev 88CM kit with spotmeter sells for $500 on his dutch eBay auctions. It is a great system for the price if you are not a pro, and shoot only a few rolls of film per month. I have heard of Kiev's being bad to hang up, this has not been my experience with the two 88's I have. Best of luck with yours.

I've bought many things from Mike Fourman. He is great! I only had one problem with a prism for a Kiev 60. I called him & he sent me a new one within 3 days. He's a very honest person and you can't go wrong in dealing with Kievcamera!! Don't waste your money dealing with Kiev USA. They are a ripoff. The Kiev gear is very sturdy and doesn't usually need all the supposed tweaking they claim they do. Any decent repair guy could adjust shutter speeds for about 30 bucks and flocking is very cheap too. Stay with Mike Fourman & you'll be very happy and save a lot of money that you can spend on those cool Russian fisheyes, etc.

• 1 year later...

I purchased a Kiev60 from Mike Fourman at Kievcamera. In short it had a problem, but then we all know that Kiev Quality Control leaves something to be desired. Any way, I contacted Mike, and he replaced the camera immediately without any hassles. In fact he sent me one that was better than the one I purchased. If you are going to buy Kiev equipment then buy it from a dealer you can trust. If it is not right then Mike Fourman will make it right. I trust him and will do business with him in the future. Check out his sight at www.kievcamera.com.

Best Regards, Bob

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...