Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D, Used, whats it worth?

rdm

<p>I have a chance to make an offer to purchase a Canon EOS Digital Rebel 6.3 Mega pixel 300D camera Body. Used and in working condition but I'm not sure what to offer for it? C an any one tell me what something like this is worth? It would be my 1st digital SLR.<br /> </p>

<p>I dont care about lenses because i just want a body so i can convert the mount to use my collection of manual focus lenses on it<br /> </p>

<p>Depends on the condition. Mint, maybe $150-200 if you're generous. A beater? $50-75. Realize a new "old stock" XTi can be bought for about $300 and it's a lot better camera in every way. An current model SX is $475.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The 300d can be firmware flashed to give it almost all of the software features of the 10D. This makes it a great budget or starter option, or as a donor cam if you fancy having it converted for IR photography.<br>

If you buy it from a dealer with a guarantee then $150 -200, if you buy it used privately with no warranty then $75-125.</p>

<p>The firmware hack is explored here:<br>

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/digital_rebel_firmware_hack.html</p>

<p>Interestingly 300D has the largest viewfinder in Rebel series, as big as 10D and only slightly (meaningless actually) smaller than 20D. But of course it's pentamirror while xxD series has prism.<br>

For manual focus you might be happier with 10/20D (or even original 1D) than the Rebels, small mirror vf really isn't designed for neither fast or manual lenses.</p>

<p>On KEH the 6.3MP Rebel is selling for about 175.00-200.00 depending on condition, so don't offer more than that. They also offer a 10D in the same condition for 275.00. Do you know the person selling it? Any condition guaranty? If you buy from KEH you have a reputable dealer to work with, will you have the same options with this person?</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

thanks, I have also seen them on amazon.com, but I have not seen them for 300.00 as mentioned above. I have a digital rebel xt that works fine, but I have read the shutter life is an average of 50,000 and I am getting closer to that number. I plan on using it until it is on its last leg, but I am keeping my eyes open for good deals.</p>

<p>I sold mine on Ebay for $300. I sold it in the orignal box with the battery pack grip, carry strap, 2- batteries, 18-55 kit lens, and a 512 Sandisk Card. However, it had no battery charger. Mine was in mint condition as warranty had just replaced it when the original broke. However, I would recommend buying a newer Rebel they are about the same price but double the resolution.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>you'll outgrow it quickly if you're serious about your photography</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't know about that. As long as you don't try to print too large, it still has a lot of life. I still use it for backyard birds with my Canon FD 400mm SSC f/4.5 and a glassless convertor. Here's an example. For what they cost now 6.3MP and EOS mount, you can still get good quality pictures for it. I also shoot all my cameras for my classic camera post with it like here: <a href="http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00RR3V">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00RR3V</a> </p>

<p>Still a lot of life left in this old girl.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=82470368&brd=1&q=imaging+digital+director&cy=us&lid=316&re=0&pg=1&dv=1&AVSDM=2009-07-26+02%3a46%3a00&seq=2&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000"></a></p>

</blockquote><div>00U4hu-159711584.jpg.7902ea63b30b028ee919b63eeff88aec.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shots Louis. I plan to switch the mounts so i can use all my Rokkor glass on it. I offered him 120 and he accepted in less than an hour, unfortunately i missed the one line added to the auction where he says the flash doesn't automatically pop up you have to give it a Little pull. Funny thing is, that this morning i finally received an email reply to an inquiry i made about one for sale locally. I had seen it 2 weeks ago on "Crags list" complete with kit lens for 200. <br /> Oh well, too late. Not too bad i guess, because this one would save me 80 dollars plus I don't need EF mount lenses anyway.</p>

<p>By the way Paul Russell , thanks a heap for that link i plan to do that as soon as i get.</p>

<p>Hi Dan<br /> No problem, glad you got sorted, you are going in with your eyes wide open, as folk have said the rebel is still a perfectly good camera.<br /> Welcome to the digital revolution. I got a cheap convertor for my rokkor lenses on my rebel, works well enough although I tend to stick to using it with bellows and a reversed Rokkor macro 3.5. <br>

Do bear in mind that the lenses will become more telephoto in effect, the sensor has a crop factor of 1.6x (so that a 50mm behaves more like an 80mm, great for reach, not great for wide angle) and there will be an additional slight conversion factor of the adaptor itself.<br>

There are two kinds, one with a glass element for back focus correction and a cheaper one without.<br>

If you don't need infinity focus (i.e. for macro or portrait) then the cheaper one without the element is actually the better bet.<br>

<br /> Still give my old sr-t an outing now and again.<br /> Good luck bud.</p>

<p><strong>First off</strong> i want to say to the ones that said i can get a newer rebel of better quality for the same price re-read my budget i stated and if you find it is what you 1st thought it to be, then please post a link to where i can find such a camera.</p>

<p><strong>Thanks Paul </strong> for your input, but i know a fair amount about DSLRs and the sensor crop factor. At times i knew more then some about Digital SLR cameras. Sometimes more then my friends that have and use them. I'm just never good at pricing anything. I even had to show some fellow students how to use their cameras in a photography program at the college i went to a couple years ago. A most humorous situation was when the students that showed up with brand new DSLRs to the Fashion Expo we had at the school. Many of the photo students were there to take pictures. 5 Got Brand New DSLRs for the occasion. 3 of them opted for a one lens kit and chose the 45-150 kit lenses thinking it was the same field of view as their film camera (the school i went to has a film based photography program requiring film cameras with only 2 optional digital photography elective classes) . Not realizing the crop factor they were so confused and i had to explain things to them, one of the 3 was a Digital first time rebel owner. She was not too bad off . But the 2 guys that got the Olympus' with 45-150 were screwed with only telephoto lenses that had to stand way down the isle.</p>

<p><strong>As for lens adapters</strong> , unlike you with your adapter I don't have to worry about the conversion factors of the adapter itself. I bet you misunderstood it when i said I'm converting the cameras mount. Probably thinking i made a mistake and meant using a lens adapter, because not many know if this option. I really did my research, since i have all this MD glass i refused to go into the digital world and leave my beloved Rokkors behind (plus not having money to invest in all new glass). And the thought of an image degrading lens adapters made me cringe. SO i would not make any plunge if i couldn't take my Rokkors along unaltered.<br>

I found the site of an italain engineere who felt the same as me . He has designed and manufactured his own mount Flange that replases the stock EOS Flange. Allowing it to accept MD lenses with full origonal functionallity. He sells them for about 60 euro. It won't harm the camera and can be put back, you only use a screw driver to do it.</p>