multiple SB-600s + multiple PW's = battery issue

scottferris

<p>I am just getting into the wireless flash world, and working in the skateboard industry it's become standard to use anywhere from 3 to 10 flashes even during the day. At the moment I've got two SB-600s and three pocketwizard plus II's, which if you do the math is 14 AA batteries. I need some good rechargeables, but I also need a charger that can handle a large amount of batteries at once.</p>

<p>Just to clarify I'm asking about a good system to charge a larger number of AA's at once, not an argument about PW's vs CLS. I've made my decision on that matter.</p>

<p>I use three SB600 strobes and charge with two Lenmar 8 Minute 4 bay chargers, MNC815. They charge each battery individually, not in banks, so all the batteries charge fully every time. Use their special batteries to charge in 8 minutes, but I use Lenmar 2500mAh AA batteries, which last a hell of long time in the SB600s. They take about 15 minutes to recharge.</p>

<p>I've heard that charging too fast shortens the life of the battery, I don't shoot all that often, but so far I've used the setup over a year and don't have a problem.</p>

<p>Frank, that Maha unit looks like a great answer to my problem! 8 batteries per hour sounds like a good deal to me. From the sounds of things the Duracells and Eneloops are the way to go as far as the batteries themselves are concerned.</p>

<p>Scott,<br>

I am in the process now of changing all of my rechargeable batteries to the eneloop system. I have read a lot on this and I believe that they are the best bang for the buck. I have tested them mainly on computer stuff, my Apple Wireless Mouse just eats batteries all the time. The eneloops have now been in 3 times as long as other rechargeables that I used before and it still doesn't look like it is ready to run out. Same with other things that I now use them in. There will more like these coming out I am sure. When charging they do not want you to charge them any faster than 3-4 hours. I have a 4 AA/AAA unit and that is about how long it takes. The best feature is that they hold there charge for a long time.<br>

philb<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>Keep in mind that your PWs will use a VERY small amount of power. Regular rechargeables might not be advantageous here, due to their self discharging effect (although the Eneloops should be better). A lot of folks I know use rechargeables in their strobes, but stick to regular alkalines for PWs.</p>

<p>Just a thought.</p>

<p>"not in banks, so all the batteries charge fully every time" - if you are happy, and that is all it matters.</p>

<p>Chargers charge to more than rated max capacity of a battery, but what is left in the battery after the charging is finished is a different story. Even poor quality batteries will "charge fully" and show indication that charging is done, or completed, yet you have no feedback how much charge the battery was able to preserve. For this reason use reputable make batterries, or use the Analyzer to see how good your battery really are ? I used Maha analyzer on pack of 8 Lenmar batterries since they were failing me too often, and discovered "shocking" truth about their real capacity, read the other link.</p>

<p>For this type of battery capacity measurements, that complies with IEC and other industry standards, you will need a charger that has capability to compute battery charge and display mah values in digital form. There are 2 top of the line chargers that do than, one from Maha (MH-C9000) and one from La Crosse (BC-9009) that allow measurements of actual battery charged capacity. </p>

<p>Analysis is only needed if you do not trust your batterries or they failed you in a way. Once you verified their ability to hold rated capacity, then you can use them safely using good charger with separate circuit for each battery. Batteries can fail in long time of usage, and then analyzing their real capacity is helpful. </p>