LX3 HD Movies - How to transfer to DVD

<p>I use a Mac and import mine to iMovie and burn through to iDVD. Works like a charm, but while it can manipulate and edit the movie as HD, it will ultimately burn it in standard def. If you have an AppleTV (or any home media server), though, it should play it in HD.</p>

<p>j</p>

<p>Thanks Jeff, so to clarify even though I have an HD TV then I cannot play the converted mov files from a DVD in HD?<br>

The only way I can do it is to play them as HD mov files through a mac/pc/mediaserver and input to the TV?<br>

With my FT1 I can record AVCHD lite movies - can these burn to DVD and play as HD?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes. That's exactly what I do. Because of the issue you noted, though, I keep a backup of all the digital files so that if/when the capability to burn to Bluray comes to the Mac, I'll be able to go back and redo everything if I want.</p>

Was the ZS3 the first Panasonic model to produce AVCHD? The LX3 does not?

All the major Windows-based video editing packages are able to burn Blu-Ray video. There is even a plug-in for Nero 7, which is old. Nero 9 would be a better choice. Alternatively you could attach your HDTV to a laptop and play HD video from disk.

Ten years ago my low-powered (single CPU speed measured in MHz not GHz) SGI O2 could play HD video at full resolution without hesitation. It is nice to know the computer industry is making progress. (cough)

I forgot to add in my last post: there must be something equivalent to Video CD, which was a CDR with DVD style video on it. Is there a Blu-Ray DVD+R or DVD-R format for HD video? That way you could avoid buying a Blu-Ray burner.

<p>Update for Nero 9:<br>

'9. Does Nero support QuickTime (MOV)? <br />> > <br />> > We do support QuickTime 4 (MOV) files for VCD/SVCD formats in Nero/Nero <br />> > Express. If the MOV file is created with any other version of QuickTime, <br />> > we <br />> > can not support it. <br />> > <br />> > NeroVision Express is supporting this format since version 2.1.0.3. <br />> > <br />> > Important note <br />> > For SVCD to work with MOV files, you must have our MPEG-2/SVCD or <br />> > MPEG-2/DVD <br />> > Encoder installed on your system. These plug-ins have to be purchases <br />> > separately. If you would like to purchase one, please visit our online <br />> > shop <br />> > for information and pricing.'<br>

LX3 Mov files do not convert in Nero 9... :(</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>[[Although what I really wanted was to play the clips in HD on a TV.]]</p>

<p>If you're talking about the TS1/FT1, why not just connect the camera directly to the TV with the HDMI cable?</p>

<p>The LX3 has its own component cable that does the same though I understand it's not supplied with the camera.</p>