what to shoot in lincoln?

<p>i am at a work related conference up north on tuesday. shall take the train down to lincoln to see a friend for two days. i should have a whole day at lincoln on wednesday. i know there is a cathedral and some roman remains. looking for suggestions within walking distance from the centre of town.</p>

<p>also, can't decide whether to take a sony a100 or perhaps the little bessa r with 35mm lens. black and white, colour.. decisions, decisions :)</p>

<p>Lincoln? As in Nebraska? What...Roman remains? Oh, wait, you mean the Lincoln in Lincolnshire, UK. ;)</p>

<p>Some good ideas can be gotten here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln,_Lincolnshire</p>

<p>Looks like many, many interesting photo ops, and lots of architectural detail. You might want to bring a wider and short tele lenses for the Bessa if you got 'em. I want to see a better pic of the Lincoln Imp. Have a good time! You're <em>much</em> better off there than in Nebraska.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br /> - Bill (temporarily working near the [Abraham] 'Lincoln Trail' in Kentucky, USA)</p>

<p>We have quite a few wags here. My first thought was of Lincoln, Nebraska and after having lived in nearby Omaha for four air force years, my first suggestion would have been to shoot yourself if you have to spend a winter there.<br>

I have visited England but not Lincoln. My paternal grandfather spent a lot of years assigned to the 1st Lincolns as a rifleman and was part of Kitchener's expeditionary force that liberated Khartoum in 1898. There was another soldier that took part in the battle, a young subaltern assigned to the 1st Lancers, a cavalry unit. This particular person left the army to engage in politics and achieved some notoriety. I can't remember his full name, but his first name was something like Winston. Perhaps someone can help me out here.<br>

Even though the battle for Khartoum took place 111 years ago, I am still astounded that I actually interfaced with old boy, since he died when I was about 8 years old. I wonder what he would think if he knew that my son, his great grandson, served two US Army tours in Iraq as a young Army officer. What goes around comes around, I guess.<br>

If the question had been about York, I could have made some suggestions.</p>