Filter Sizes

jasna_hodzic

<p>I have a 17-85mm f/4-5.6 and a 70-200mm f/4L lens. I am going to be purchasing the 10-22mm and 50mm f/1.4 lenses soon. I have UV filters for both of my current lenses (for protection,) and a ND filter for my 17-85mm. Both of those are 67mm sizes. As most of you probably know, the filter size for the 10-22mm lens is 77mm. Now, the only reason i bought a ND filter for my 17-85mm is that it was the lens i primarily used for long exposure landscape shots, since I didn't have a wider lens at the time. Now that I find myself about to purchase the 10-22mm, I'm wondering is there anyway that I can get a filter that would fit onto both lenses, or some kind of equipment which could covert the 67mm sizes to 77mm? As you can imagine, I want to reduce the amount of filters I need to be lugging around, and save money, as I become a more serious photographer. <br>

Thanks !</p>

<p> </p>

<p>-- "I'm wondering is there anyway that I can get a filter that would fit onto both lenses"</p>

<p>Yes ... step-up-rings and step-down-rings.</p>

<p>While the use of a larger filter in a lens with a smaller thread usually does not cause problems (i.E. a 77mm filter used on a lens with a 67mm thread), it is not recommended to do it vice versa (use a smaller filter on a lens with a larger thread).</p>

<p>You could buy a 77mm ND (or a set of NDs) an get step-up-rings from 67mm to 77mm.</p>

<p>But there is a problem when using stepup rings ... the normal lens-shade usually does not fit any longer on the lens when a stepup ring is used. (at least, you cannot mount/unmount the lensshade while the steup-up is on the lens. in the worst case, the setup cannot be screw in if the lensshade is on the lens.)</p>

<p>"While the use of a larger filter in a lens with a smaller thread usually does not cause problems (i.E. a 77mm filter used on a lens with a 67mm thread)..."<br>

So I could buy a 77mm filter and use it on all the lenses with no problems?<br>

I don't want to buy the step up ring unless I have to. </p>