Sudden problem with overexposure

bj_wolter

<p>I'm hoping someone with greater experience with the EOS digital bodies can offer me some advice here, because I am stumped. I've had a Rebel XTI body for about 4 years now after upgrading from an EOS 3 that I loved, and have never had a problem with it up until now. Just in the last couple of months, it seems that the metering has gone haywire causing many of my shots to be badly overexposed. I've tried stopping down, which sort of solves the problem, but is a hassle. Also tried reseting the camera option, which did nothing. I have not updated the firmware (1.0.3) yet since I don't have a CF card less than 2GB to do so with (odd that the camera cannot update off something larger). </p>

<p>I've attached an example of a washed out pic, taken in Honduras earlier this year. High light situation, but away from the sun.</p>

<p>I know someone will probably ask if I'm shooting into the sun or something, and the answer is "sometimes", but I'm never metering off those portions of the frame. Other times, I am simply shooting in diffuse light situations, or even low contrast. Honestly, the lighting situation doesn't seem to really make much difference to the overexposure problem. The only times I <strong>don't</strong> seem to have a problem with the metering is in really bright, high contrast situations, like sun rises where the foreground is all black anyway.</p>

<p>I'm rather frustrated because I've taken some really great photos with this body over the years across the globe, and now it I feel like I could take better shots with my Nikon pocket cam. </p>

<p>Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!</p><div>00U1Hv-157467584.jpg.e0ed139f2b6d47344eb0ed38103aa4f2.jpg</div>

<p>The only time this sort of thing happened to me, it was that the exposure compensation wheel on my 20D had got bumped off center. If you've reset the camera, though, I would think it would have taken care of that, and I'm not sure how it would get accidentally changed on an XTi anyhow.<br>

Maybe you'll have to bite the bullet and send it in for service.</p>

<p>According to exifdata, the exposure for the shot was following the "sunny-16-rule" ...<br>

400iso ... 1/500sec ... f/16 ... but the image is overexposed by several stops (gust a guess ... 4-5) ... so either exposure times are no longer correct, or the lens doesn't stop down as it should.</p>

<p>I'm using a Sigma DC 18-125 1:3.5-5.6 lens w. a HOYA UV filter. Never had an issue with it before; however, I just tried some comparision shots between it and my Sigma 170-500, 1:5-6.3, and there were no metering issues with the bigger lens, but the smaller one washed out again. Looks like Rainer T is right that the lens isn't stopping down like it should. </p>

<p>I've always used Sigma lenses and never had a problem with them. Does anyone know if that is a fixable problem, or do I just need to invest in a newer (better) lens? Lens sizes and brand suggestions would be great! I don't have thousands to spend on lenses unfortunately...</p>

<p>I also tried Arie's suggestion of switching to AV and dialing up to f/22 and trying to dof button and nothing happens with the smaller lens while the bigger lens does what it is supposed to. Seems my small lens is kaput.</p>

<p>Before sending the lens in for service, you might try cleaning the contacts.</p>

<p>I like Q-tips and alcohol, but rubber-pencil erasers are also popular (just make sure none of the dust/bits get into the lens/camera).</p>

<p>G`day, had 2 sigma EX 15 30`s do this, the flex board screws loosened causin the diaphram unit to fail, your case may differ, cost me about 20% the value of the lens to get fixed but YMMV. ring em and they usually can give some ideal over the phone if you say you won`t hold em to it. If you use it wide open in AV it`ll work, light permitting but Sigma is the best to feal with it as one o mine 2yr old was replaced as they could not fix focus after fiddlin. Keep us informed as tooo many folks don`t let the masses know end results..Good luck ;-)</p>

<p>Oh yeah just an ideal what the flex board looks like, sits under the lens mount dunno what I did with the diaphrams, problably thrown out after claimin tax ;-) tho be nice if just cleanin the contacts fix it</p><div>00U1kV-157739684.jpg.279a3c436ab6de0a2a261546e3900108.jpg</div>

<p>The last time that sort of thing happened to me it was the shutter beginning to break. It started to slow down making the exposures longer even though the metering said it was taking a photo that was much faster. Longer exposures that were metered around 1/15 or slower were fine, but when I set the camera to above 1/250 or faster it wasn't able to keep up.<br>

This may not be your problem, but this was what happened to me with the same circumstances.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>