Umbrellas for wind proofing

dave_cattell1

Hiya,

Being mostly an outdoor photographer especially landscapes, the LF

camera susceptibility to the wind pushed me towards MF for a while.

BUT now I'd like to give it another go. So I'm going to get an

umbrella which I'll hold to keep the wind off the camera.

So, I'd like some hints and tips as to style of umbrella most suited

to this purpose. I don't want it to be huge as it will have to travel

in or on a backpack, although I may get a large golf syle one for use

out the back of a car as well.

So some advice on type of umbrella and techniques would be most

useful. I'll be buying in England so the choice should be good.

Thanks,

Dave.

PS Any other advice on wind proofing would be very useful too (other

than the obvious like use a big tripod etc...)

Dave, I've been toying with the same idea, I have used a golf umbrella with carbon fibre shaft!! But I have been thinking about using an anglers umbrella. These are intended as "shelters" for anglers and feature guide lines and pegs to add stability. Maybe a bit over the top, but would probably make the difference between securing the shot and not! Only real problem is the height of the brolly when staked out - but would be okay for lowish-angle shots!

Dave, an umbrella is not designed to deflect wind. You will find it to be a difficult piece of equipment to transport and use for that purpose. Of course, if it's raining, it becomes a necessity. I photographed the Oregon coast over a three year period of time. Mostly with a monorail. The wind blew constantly during the day, but I found that early in the morning and later in the evening, it calmed down enough to photograph comfortably, although I often had to contend with slightly blurred vegatation at slower shutter speeds. The light is magical during those times of the day. Stand between the camera and the wind, and spread a darkcloth between your arms like a sail to block the wind . Works as good as anything, and you won't need to carry an extra piece of equipment.

Dave: It somewhat depends on the camera you are using. If a full view camera, then it will always be more susceptible to breezes, what with the bellows hanging out there, and all. If you are using one of the older Speed/Super Graphic cameras, which IMHO will do 85% of what a view camera will do, and are more convenient in the bargain, the problem is somewhat less. The Super Graphics have a revolving back for horizontal and vertical perspective, which is nice.

No matter what camera system you use, some days are absolutely unsuitable for photography. Usually though, you can find shelter on the lee side of a building, dock, dune, bush or vehicle, which will give you about the same view as was revealed in that half-state between wakefulness and sleep last midnight. Then, you can brace your tripod, and /or use a golf-size umbrella,(smaller is lighter, but will be less useful)and proceed with your photography.

Hopefully, your film will be at least medium speed. Use the highest shutter speed you can, wait for a lull in the wind, and shoot! Need I say, remove the dark slide? Keep your equipment dry and clean, even if it means not taking it out of the car, or bag, BUT the most important thing is to keep yourself warm, dry, safe and comfortable. Have fun! CC