RZ 67 65mm 'W' or 'L-A' lens

tony_black1

<p>The L-A is supposed to improve corner sharpness from the use of a floating element for close distance focussing.</p>

<p>I had the W but never compared the 2. I dont know if it's only noticable for flat copy work or if it really shows on landscapes.</p>

<p>The "w"is fine and an excellent lens. I guess you need to evaluate if the marginal corner improvements are valuable to your style of photography.</p>

<p>I have and use the 65-LA on my camera most of the time and it's a magnificent lens. While not as wide as the 50 ULD, there's less distortion, and I can use my G3 bellows & filter kit with it and not get vignetting. It's wide enough for the majority of applications I shoot.<br>

You do need to remember to set the floating element, though. In tests where I've experimented with setting and not setting to the appropriate distances there is noticeable edge softness. On the shots I've correctly set it, every mm of the frame is superbly sharp, at ƒ32. Recently I saw a new one for $1,800+ on-line. I think I paid $500 for mine, used, in immaculate condition. Highly recommended. Have fun.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Cian, if I'm not mistaken (standard net disclaimer) the "KL" are the most recent improved lenses for an <strong>RB</strong> but will mount and work fine on an RZ.</p>

<p>The quality is supposedly on par with the newer "W".</p>

<p>The "KL" is not an "L-A" (originl post question).<br>

An "L-A" is a floating element design with close focussing correction.</p>

<p>Thanks Bruce and gang. I'm pretty excited. I've committed to purchasing an RZ67II kit from a hobbiest. </p>

<p>It will come with three lenses, but one of them is the RB (KL) version of the 65mm. From what I can tell, this lens has a manually adjusted floating element even though it does not have the "L-A" designation. Adorama's website explains, "It incorporates an adjustable floating element system for correction of edge sharpness and distortion, especially at wide open apertures and close distances."</p>