Advanced beginner gear help

adam_clark2

<p>Hi,<br>

This is my first time posting on a photography forum, so sorry up front, if this has already been addressed. I did search around the forum a little, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.<br>

My question regards money, which I know will be subjective, but I'm hoping some of you a lot farther down the road may have some advice.<br>

I'm an advanced beginner photogrpher in that I've been shooting for about a year and have started to get a few potential clients and paid gigs. However, I feel that I'm pretty limited in my equipment. I've been shooting on a Canon 450D and 50mm 1.8. Obviously I need more than this as I try to become more of a full-time photographer.<br>

So my question is this: I have a very limited budget and I'm not sure if I should build a basic setup around the 450D or go ahead and use credit to make the jump to full-frame and build around that. I know that gear does not (necessarily) a better photography make. However, I think it's obvious that someone who wants to go pro must have a basic setup from which to build. Can/should I do this with the 450D? Or bite the bullet and go 5D?<br>

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.</p>

<p>Stay with the XSi (450D) Mine works great. What are you trying to photograph? Portraits? Weddings? Build your Lens kit. Some good sharp zooms or some good fast primes. Like the 80 1.8 or the 100 f2. Those are fast and sharp. Good background bokeh and are good length on the APS-C sensor.</p>

<p>I would say to stay with your current camera, but get lenses that will also work on full frame. That way, when you do have the budget to get a full-frame camera, you'll have a few lenses already lined up and ready to go. My opinion is this is an efficient way to use money, as it will buy you some needed versatility now, while at the same time not hindering you in the future. You'll need to think carefully about focal lengths, though.</p>

<p>You have one camera and one lens, and have been photographing for about one year. I would not recommend another camera body at this stage. Typically, I would recommend a beginner use a kit lens that goes from a modest wide angle to a modest zoom, and then see to which end of the focal lengths you tend to use more. Then, based on those trends, consider what you want in another lens.</p>

<p>There are some technological advantages to different camera bodies, but I think five years with your first SLR or DSLR would be a better idea. This practice will help you stay away from purchased technology solutions, and focus more on your photography as an activity. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies. While I do only own one camera and one lens, I have been renting equipment on a fairly regular basis, so I'm familiar with what's out there and what I like. I'm moving in the direction of event/wedding photography and portraiture. I have not accepted any paying gigs yet because I am still not comfortable with my skill level. I have been doing some events/sessions for free, but this is difficult because it costs me a decent amount of money to rent everything i need for the event.</p>

<p>I know i will eventually go to the 5d. No question. I'm just trying to decide if I should do it now (as I'm starting to get more inquiries from potential clients) or try to move into the world of paying gigs with only an XSI.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>One thought is that in the world of paid gigs backup equipment becomes more important. I suppose your 450D can back up a 5D but would you be prepared to buy TWO 5D's? Anyway, if you're renting stuff, why not rent a 5D and see if it does something for you that your 450D doesn't?</p>