Debate - Keep K10D as backup when buying K20D

kathyb

<p>I bought the Pentax K10D 18 months ago. It has 1,500 actuations on it (shutter releases). I just purchased the K20D and await it's arrival. I am debating selling the K10D or keeping it as back up. In terms of quality, is it true that the K20D is not as good at lower ISO as the K10D but that the K20D is better at higher ISO's?<br>

Decisions, decisions.................. LOL</p>

<p>As far as keeping it, it would depend on if you do things that need a backup such as weddings, events that you only have one chance at, etc. Because you aren't going to get a good amount of money back on the K10D, I guess I would just keep it. <br>

Yes, the K20D is a million times better at higher ISO's. Didn't know that it was worse at lower ones? Is that really true??? Yikes!</p>

<p>True, the K10D didn't get a lot of use. I bought it 12/07. However I didn't use it at all for the first 6 months, taking it out the following summer.<br>

I won't get much for the k10D, I agree, so I am torn about keeping it or selling it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What other camera were you using for those 6 months? With such low use, I'd keep the K10D as a backup and use it. It is a very good RAW shooter. I have seen no evidence of the K10D being superior at lower ISO. JPEGs from the K20d have been demonstrated as better.</p>

<p>I have an old *ist-D I bought new, but used little. After getting the K100DS, the JPEGs are so much better with that model, I only used the *ist-D for RAW shooting thereafter. So now it rarely leaves the shelf. I should sell it, although I still like it.</p>

<p><em>I won't get much for the k10D, I agree, so I am torn about keeping it or selling it.</em><br>

I sold a used K10d with box and accessories 2 months ago for about $450, I think. Ebay sales are still in the $350 to $450 range.<em> </em> There's still a reasonable market for these cameras.<em></em><br>

You'll get enough for a nice flash, or a reasonable lens, for your new camera<em>.<br /> </em></p>

<p>I know that I would personally enjoy a k10 if I had upwards of $500, especially with as few actuations on it as you have. I would suggest that if you are truely torn between selling it or keeping it, I'd sleep on it... For a month. After you get your k20 and your k10 has seen little or no use in that time, maybe then you could reconsider selling it. But right now, what's the hurry?</p>

<p>Wow, as some of you know, I retired my K10D after some 45000 actuations and only because the shutter release button went out...<br>

As far as Noise, I would have to be in the camp that agrees. The K10D does seem cleaner from 100-400 ISO over the K20D. You will have to pixel peep to see it, but it is there. The K20D from 400 to 1600 is about a stop better than the K10D and of course you can shoot to IS0 6400 with the K20D. I would keep the K10D. Maybe stick a different lens on it and rather than changing lenses, grab the other system and go or take both.</p>

<p>Kathy B.,<br>

The K20D is a better camera all the way around, and that's saying a lot because the K10D is a very good camera too.<br>

Since you did not use the K10D much anyway, sell it so someone else can. Plus you'll get a few hundred bucks for it that you can use for other good stuff. Generally folks need a backup camera if they have a pretty rigorous shooting schedule, or if they are replacing a camera body that has some personal value more than market value. I have always kept my *DS (in spite of its name) because it is so small. Plus for some events, it is faster to shoot with two bodies rather than changing lenses.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Oh Javier! What's a girl to do?! I can't decide! LOL</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, I just asked my wife what she would do and she said if it was her, she would sell it and pay off her victorias secret bill and buy more stuff...I like that Idea...8-)</p>

<p>All joking aside, if the K10D is going to sit, then sell it before more time passes and and looses more value. With the money you get, save it for a rainy day of buy what ever will make you happy.</p>

<p>Javier, I posted an ad here at PN and I have e-mailed my friends. We'll see what happens.<br />Thanks!</p>

<p>Michael, Thanks for your input. I have a digital advanced point and shoot for casual shots. I have 2 complete film SLR 35mm outfits too. The Pentax K10D body will be sold.</p>

<p>Through a strange sequence of circumstances and decisions, I have a pair of K20D's and I'm really enjoying it. It means, for example I can still shoot flowers, bugs & who knows what all else with one while I've got the other set up with a long lens on a trripod, waiting for birds. It is kind of nice to have a back-up but I say if you keep it, use it--don't just let it collect dust.</p>

<p>There's the solution, let Javier's wife sell it & put it to good use.</p>

<p>I have tended to hang onto my old digital bodies though I'm really going to need to sell at least one of them before getting a K-7. I still use my *ist DS2 pretty frequently because it is substantially smaller and lighter than the K10D/K20D though it lacks SR and can't AF my SDM-only 17-70/4...but this may be OK because I normally use smaller lenses on the *ist DS2 anyway. In some ways I think hanging onto them is to my detriment as not only do they lose value over time, but I'm not one to bring two bodies with me, and by switching bodies so often I don't "learn" them as well. Of course I know where all the switches are but perhaps they don't "become extensions of me" as easily. </p>

<p>The idea of having only one, and having it break and being without for several weeks is very unappealing though so I would probalby always keep two.</p>

<p>Keep it, digital cameras break, and the K10/20D share all the same hardware accessories, and yes, the K10D is on par with the K20D at lower ISO. It also has things like unlimited JPEG, it has an option to turn off dark frame subraction, and some other things.</p>

<p>Overall, I can't blame you for taking advantage of the K20D slash and burn pricing, but 1500 actuations is barely broken in, I'm on around 20-30K after sharing time with the K20D, ist D, and Nikon DSLRs. Definitely keep the K10D, take it out every now and then to keep the shutter from getting sticky (or at least fire it at all shutter speeds every few months). I see no point in selling it for $200 and then being without a DSLR if your K20D should fail (and even if it's under warranty, expect to not see it for a few weeks).</p>

<p>Justin, Your advice came too late. I sold the K10D for $300.00 yesterday. The K20D should arrive shortly. I have a Canon advanced point ann shoot as back up. The K20D will be my backup when the K7 comes down in price a year or so from now. I'm also in the process of selling my old Pentax lenses because I also have a complete Canon film 35mm SLR outfit.<br>

Thanks all for the feedback. :O)</p>

<p>Kathy, I still can't get over having only 1,500 shutter releases on the K10! I've had mine for about 15 months and it has well over 11,000! I have given serious thought to getting the K20 and keeping the K10 as a secondary for weddings and things. </p>

<p>If you are truly going to get rid of your Pentax lenses, could you let me know what you have? I am looking at adding some lenses and would appreciate the opportunity to help us both out.</p>

<p>Angela, I sold the old Pentax prime lenses. However I still have the 50mm Pentax lens but I won't sell it separate from the Pentax K1000 camera body.<br>

I am keeping all of my Pentax digital lenses. I am LOVING the K20D. Took it out for a shoot this evening. See the sample. I'm a happy camper!</p><div>00U0tY-157245584.jpg.2859cace28eb8f32fb0f55ffbd56f181.jpg</div>

<p>Only 1,500 accuations? Dude, keep that sucker! You're not going to get what it's likely worth. Unless, of course, you want to sell it to me. ;)<br>

I've kept my K100D as a backup, which also serves as my wife's infrequently dSLR camera (which she needs more than a Point'n Shoot, especially with something like the AF-360GZ) with the DA 16-45 f/4, DA 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 and DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 lenses.<br>

As far as the K20D purchase, with the solid K10D, I might have waited for the K7D to drop. But all-in-all, the K20D is a solid unit, and you're unlikely to want the K7D after getting it (sans for size, but that's not enough to buy it later IMHO).</p>