8mm Film to DVD transfer (Do it yourself)

eugene_gekhter

<p>Here is all the information you need below that will give you everything you need.<br>

Film transfer equipment videos:<br /> Super 8, Regular 8: http://www.blip.tv/file/2381157<br /> Super 8 Sound: http://blip.tv/file/2380247<br /> 16mm : http://blip.tv/file/2396753<br>

Sample transfer.<br /> http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1069952628252</p>

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

<p>hi everyone.<br>

i have a diy setup for 8mm transfer that's almost identical to philips post:<br>

http://www.blip.tv/file/2381157<br>

the only thing i'm missing is the camera.<br>

i would like a recommendation for an inexpensive camera that will take still pictures in HD quality.<br>

I don't want a video camera as I will be doing a single frame by frame capture similar to ken does on his flatbed scanner.<br>

any ideas?</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I have some 8mm film that i am trying to project. I borrowed a sears easi-load super eight to play them. But i believe the film was shot with a bell and howell camera. Was the film back them proprietary? Because it plays fine, but is upside down. I believe i am loading it correctly for the sears projector. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.</p>

<p>Although I'm a novice when it comes to 8mm film transfer, one thing I'm certain of, is the reason your film shows upside down in the projector; because it's backwards. What you think is the beginning is actually the end of the film and vise-versa. You'll need to rewind the film. You mentioned 8mm film and super 8mm projector, unless your projector is dual 8mm, hold off viewing it on the projector because you can damage your film. Visit this web site, <a href="http://www.goaggressive.com/8mmFAQ.html">http://www.goaggressive.com/8mmFAQ.html</a> it's informative, easy to understand and you'll learn something. Please let me know how your transfer goes, I'm still learning. Good luck.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Does anyone know the ins and outs of transferring Super8 to Digibeta? Luckily I had my done free by a film lab in 2001.<br>

<br />Today how much would it cost to transfer 5 hours of Super 8, and is DigiBeta the preferred way to go?</p>

<p>Also another question. I am about to be uploaded to a film stock house. Most of the clips are short clips. Does anyone have an idea of the demand of 1973 Super 8 film in the global marketplace? In other words, what is the fate of my 1973 Super 8 films? I've logged in 68 clips. mostly a few seconds long.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The machine I have is a Sony DVDirect. I payed $89.00 for it on EBAY, but it runs up to $250.00 elsewhere. I run the 8mm film through my Cinemate, record it on my DV camcorder, then run the camcorder through the DVDirect machine and it converts the video to DVD. This same unit also converts photos, VHS, and other media to DVD as well, but it DOES NOT convert 8mm to DVD directly.</p>

<p>Please allow me to correct some information that has been posted on this forum. In response to the 8mm to DVD transfer machine at Costco and the Sony DVDirect transfer machine both machine's are for 8mm CAMCORDER tape. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR 8mm CAMCORDER TAPE. This forum is for 8mm film that is viewed with a projector not a camcorder. 8mm film and super 8mm film was used primarily from the 1950's through early 1970's. Please read above posts before responding or posting any suggestions. Thank you</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Keep it simple. Since 8mm and super8 mm films are fairly low resolution compared to today's 3-chip camcorders, you can forego the expensive process of using a telecine (film chain) by simply setting up one of these camcorders as close as possible to the projector and recording the movie off the screen. Don't waste your time with older video cameras and formats like VHS which are only going to degrade the quality of the original film. Of course, the better the screen, the better the image. Also, make certain the room is completely without light and avoid people walking around since that may shake the camera. Even the slightest shake will be very noticable, particularly if the projector/camera are a good distance from the screen. The two respective lens, projector and camera, should be at the same height. Definitely use a good solid tripod. Even though super8 is 18 frames per second (fps) and video is 30 fps, I have not experienced any problems. The video material looks surprisingly good. <a href="http://www.anomalymedia.tv">www.anomalymedia.tv</a></p>

<p>Hi Jay, thanks for this input. Luckily I had my Super 8s transferred to DigiBeta by Time-Life in 2001. There were hours of Super 8s. I sent a 17min VHS sample to a major film stock house and they said, "send the rest!" They were pleasantly surprised to see the product on DigiBeta. In fact they told me they had to break out a rarely-used machine they have.<br>

Ok, so that's cut and dry. As long as I've got you on the line let me ask you this: What is the demand for Super 8s from the early 1970s in today's film markets? Check any stock house and they'll probably tell you "vintage film is highly in demand." Even though you point out it's only 18 fps. I thought it was 24 fps but I certainly go on your word.<br>

The firm rummaged through all the film, with a committee, and wound up cutting 68 clips. One of the clips is less than 4 seconds long. That leaves me wondering, what is anyone going to do with a 3second clip? So I'm asking you, and anyone who can answer, what is the commercial use of Super 8s from the early 1970s? The telecines are superb, and I know you have to have good subject matter. Just as one example I have footage of the stage the Beatles played off August 28, 1964 and all the ancients, including Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the Who, Momas & Popas, Peter Paul & Mary, Lil' Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Frank Sinatra, the Doors and a whole lot more played off this exact same stage. It's not them actually playing, it's just the crew setting up the exact same stage for that night's Chicago/Beach Boys concert.<br>

I have captured many other unique corners of Americana on these films that no one else seems to have. Many others. What is the end game here? </p><div>[ATTACH=full]430564[/ATTACH]</div>

• 1 month later...

<p>Thanks to you all for your information about transfering super 8mm FILM to DVD media. Does anyone know if I get the right HD Cam or Vedio Camera Recorder and shoot my super 8mm FILM shown on a screen or white paper or other surface, will I sill get the fluttering effect I am now getting with my Sony Digital Camera which uses tapes and was purchased new in year 2000 Model No. DCR-TRV27, purchase price around $1,100.00? I am running the super 8mm film through my old 1970's kodak auto feed projector. My goal is to get ten 700 foot reels (shot in the 1970's) on DVD's before they are unusable. I can't afford the best quality that would be done by a professiona for over $1,800.00. I figure if I have to spend some money, I may as well get a HD digital recorder which I can use for other photography needs. After I get the 8mm films on DVD's I will splice the various mixed sceens up and make more DVD's and send them to various relatitives and friends for their children and grand children to have. I figure any quality might be okay as long as the fluttering it gone. Thanks to anyone with any advice that you know works.<br>

George Kucera</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
<p>Because of the combination of high contrast, pretty terrific resolution, and small frame size, it is hard to create a do it yourself telecine transfer system that will work with all types of film density situations. I would like to add a nice concise section about do it yourself systems to my super-8mm.net website, does one exist?</p>

• 2 months later...

<p><strong>DVD Movie Converter</strong> is currently the most powerful DVD converting program for customers to convert DVD movies with superfast speed and great output quality!<br>

Sound editting functions are offered by the <strong>DVD Movie Converter </strong>for you to customize the export file by trimming segments, cropping area size, adding effects and merging files!<br>

http://www.dvdmovieconverter.net/</p>

<p>No matter how the 8mm movies get transferred to DVD, HOW LONG before the images start to deteriorate? And then what...will I have to do it over again (or will there be better technology by then)? I've heard that DVDs only have a "life" of about 3 years.</p>

<p>Just using <em><strong>DVD to High-Definition Video Converte</strong></em>r to make a wonderful try! It can not only supports convert to <strong>hd</strong> videos, but also supports convert <strong>DVD</strong> to some common videos including AVI, MPEG4, MPG, MP4, DivX, XviD, ASF, Youtube video, VOB, 3GP, MOV, etc for enjoy on popular devices such as Xbox360, PSP/PS3, Apple TV, iPhone, iPod Touch, Mobile Phone, Zune, Gphone...<br>

http://www.dvdtohdvideo.net/</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p><strong>As a versatile conversion software, <a href="http://www.hdvideoconverter.org/">HD Converter</a> is good at converting HD video files to almost all popular video and audio formats, and also to mobile devices. With it, you could convert hd to AVI, MP4, WMV, MPEG, VOB, 3GP, FLV, DivX, XviD, MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, AC3 and more formats. Portable players like iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, Zune, PSP, PS3, Xbox, Blackberry are all supported.</strong></p>

<p>First time on here. I am trying to transfer 8mm film to digital. I'm using a variable speed projector, telecine box, and a Nikon D90 in video mode. I've also tried a Canon digital camcorder but the Nikon is giving better results. I don't have any problems with any flicker. But captured video is out of focus.<br>

Camera is set to manual focus. The camera is on a tripod and the tripod is not touching the projector table. The projector and camera are both focused as perfectly as possible. The image from the projector onto the telecine screen looks good (in focus). Looking in the side window of the telecine the image still looks good. Even looking thru the camera viewfinder during recording the image still looks good. But after removing the memory card from the camera and viewing the .avi file on the computer, the image in not in good focus. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the focus?</p>