What would you get?

david israel

<p>Hello,<br>

My wife has told me that for my birthday she would like to take me to B&H photo after a wonderful weekend in the city to purchase me a gift.<br>

She has not made it to clear what the spending limits are as of yet but I honestly don't know what I should get. If I can talk her into a 50D that is what I will get but if not then I probaly will choose a lens to add to my gear but I don't know what I should get based on my current equipment. I like all types of photography especially Macro. I currently have a Canon 20D and Canon Rebel XT. I have the following equipment:<br>

Canon 50MM 1.8<br>

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro<br>

Canon 70-300 IS USM<br>

Sigma (Bigma) 50-500MM<br>

Tamron 19-35mm<br>

430EX Speetlite<br>

Battery grips for both cameras<br>

Standard tripod<br>

Monopod<br>

Tamrrac expediton backpack<br>

Any ideas/help?<br>

Thanks,<br>

David</p>

<p>I don't think the reviews say that the 50D is a tad worse overall. Some tests show it a tad worse under a few situations, many find it superior under some circumstances, and it has a lot of nice features that the 40D lacks. But this is an argument that won't disappear until new 40Ds do. I spent several weeks this spring reading review after review and eventually opted for the 50D, but frankly, I don't think it makes that much difference unless you want the extra resolution, which I did. I shoot a lot of macro, and I find the higher resolution is in my view a big plus compared to to the XTi (let alone compared to an XT), because it allows you to crop more severely while keeping detail when you can't quickly get close enough to something that won't stay still, like a bug. You shoot with the 100mm and I use the 60mm macro, so this may be less an issue for you than for me, but I really like having that flexibility.</p>

<p>Depending on your budget limits, the 40D will be cheaper by a few hundred, and minor in difference over 50d. However, I have a good friend whom shoots dirt races, he fried his 40d with a bad CF card and purchased a 50d. I've seen the shots, and there is an improvement. He shoots action below f/8, and I shoot at f/8 for landscapes, and diffraction limits are my concern with the smaller photosites.</p>

<p>I shoot macro using the 100mm f/2.8 macro, which you already have. It doubles as a portrait and product lens when used on my full frame 1Ds. It's a very useful lens so I think your covered, and you already have a good range in your kit. Maybe you might want to think about a tilt-shift, or maybe a G10 for those days you want to travel light?</p>

<p>The 50D would be an excellent upgrade, it will allow you to boost up the ISO with cleaner images than the XT/20D (less noise), so you can use higher F-stops and keep the faster shutter speeds, to get some more DOF on those bugs :)<br /> You can also get a used 5D, apparently even better in terms of image quality (although I myself got the 50D for the burst speed and crop sensor).</p>

<p>Another nice-to-have upgrade would be the 180mm Canon L macro lens. Compared to the 100mm, you'll get nicer backgrounds, better bokeh and some more distance for 1:1 shots.<br /> As DS Meador and Bob mentioned, the MP-E 65 is another must-have for a macro shooter, although I think it is only good when paired with a macro flash (twin or ring), as it is almost impossible to get higher than 1:1 without the extra light.<br /> I am shooting macro as well, these are also on the top of my wish list :)</p>

<p>Good luck !</p>

<p>I`d suggest sell the 19 35 after getting efs17 55 f2.8IS which makes a nice std kit zoom, 40/50d is ahead in fearures and LCD than 20d but image is not that much better, tho less PS, and macro flash may be handy. better take a list unless you can confirm budget otherwise you may end up with a lenshood instead ;0)</p>

<p>Well, what you don't have is a true wide angle lens. Could be that's just not your thing, in which case don't bother. However, if you've never had anything of the kind, a EFs 10-22 could open up a new world for you, photographically speaking - more so than another camera (you have two already), another macro option (none better than the EF 100/2.8 macro IMHO) or another tele (you got plenty). Just an idea.</p>

<p>The things that stand out to me are:</p>

<ul>

<li>A macro ring light.</li>

<li>A macro focusing rail.</li>

<li>Bogen 410 mini gear head. This head works really well for macros.</li>

<li>A wide angle lens. EF-S 10-20 is a good choice or you could get a Sigma or Tamron equivalent.</li>

<li>A good cleaning kit for your sensor. I prefer the Visible dust sensor brush. You probably have a cleaning kit but it wasn't listed. </li>

</ul>

<p>As to another macro lens as others have suggested there are trade offs from what you have. The EF-S 60mm gives you greater depth of field but you have less working distance. The EF 180mm will give you more working distance but you will have less depth of field. </p>