Picture style 30D and 40D

martindomok

<p>Hello,<br>

just read a few threads here about the Picture style and discovered that while 30D has the set up:<br>

Sharpness 7, and the rest is set to plsu 2 (company camera, didnt even think someone woudl set sharpness to 7 :)! and 40D I used neutral - pictures I took today were flat... as comapared to 30D (but of course) I had a wide angle on 40D and 70-200 on the 30D. Then 30D started to act up, so I needed to change lenses (afterward 30D and the 16-35 it was all ok).<br>

<br /> My question is, what Picture style do U guys use for weddings?<br>

Thanks,<br>

<br /> Martin</p>

<p>Are you shooting manual? or do you just want to shoot auto? Churches are usually pretty crappy conditions to begin with so I shoot manual to get the exposure the way I want it and I use a 40D. If I shoot strait Jpeg I loose a lot of information. I manually shoot so that I have total control.<br>

A good way to learn manual on the 40 D is to put the camera on a tripod and point it at a full moon. Adjust the camera over and over to get exactly what you want. It really makes the difference and it would help to understand why it does what it does.<br>

I don't know if this helps, if not ....sorry.<br>

Happy Shooting! </p>

<p>I also shoot RAW so I don't use a Picture Style in order for the camera to process the image according to the parameters I set. I set up a custom Picture Style to control the rendition of the image shown on the LCD only, because I don't like the Standard Picture Style rendition on the LCD.</p>

<p>If I shot JPEG, I would test all the parameters and probably not be happy with a pre-set, so I'd set up my own custom Picture Style. Remember that you can't go by the LCD--you should look at the various tests you perform magnified, on the computer, preferably on a calibrated monitor. You should also print some out or have some printed by your lab before deciding on the settings.</p>

<p>Neutral Picture Style, as described in the Canon manual, is designed to be flat. It assumes you will be processing the image further.</p>

<p>You should also set up a Picture Style with consideration for whether you process JPEGS further or not. Some people will shoot JPEG, but leave the sharpening, for instance, low, because they like to do their own sharpening later.</p>

<p ><strong><em>"My question is, what Picture style do U guys use for weddings?"</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >I use RAW + JPEG (L) for all my captures. Mostly for all weddings the RAW file is used. </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><em >But I do intend to shoot for the JPEG for just about everything I capture, and I use the JPEG image with the intention of minimal PP: only sharpening.</em></p>

<p > </p>

<p >I use a 20D, 30D and 5D and have found that the JPEG PARAMETER settings (the numbers) give varying results between those three cameras - so it would not surprise me if there is a difference between the Picture Styles on the 30D and 40D, irrespective of the lenses being used: although have not used a 40D to confirm this as a fact.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >When I decided on my protocol of predominately JPEG capture, I set about defining and then standardizing discrete lighting scenarios (for people shots) I usually encountered and then I saved my personalized settings, for each of those situations.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >For a Wedding, I think it would be easy to default to one "Picture Style" for each camera, especially if (as one example) the Photographer mainly use Flash either as fill or main and wanted to produce quite punchy colours and contrasts. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >In any case I think it would be best to work backwards from a set of test shots from both cameras using the same calibrated monitor to view the test images, to compare the outputs of both cameras - that's how I did it: as we all have different t views on what "a finished product" actually is, I think here would be a vast range of likes and dislikes of what "Picture Style" would be best - just look at the (Photoshoping) discussions on the Photo of the Week.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >But to answer your question, by way of a couple of examples for my 5D: </p>

<p > </p>

<p >“Sunny Outdoors Med ISO No Flash: Sharp=5, Cont=0, Sat=0, ColT=0</p>

<p >“Overcast Outdoors High ISO No Flash”: Sharp=5, Cont=1, Sat=1, ColT=1</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The above are set as USER DEFINED 1 and 2. USER DEFINED 3 is for indoors available light, no Flash. These are the three setting I use most. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I have redefined the “Faithful” “Landscape” and “Standard” to my specific meanings - e.g. “Faithful” is for a specific indoor Olympic Pool, where I regularly shoot.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think it really depends how far you want to take it - as someone has already noted (with love) I am a little nuts anyway - to that end I have a cheat sheet for the settings because at first I could not recall the least used parameters (i.e. “Landscape” and “Standard”) instantaneously – but I am doing OK now, but I am prone to refining things; the current list is my version three. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The PITA is moving between the 20D and the 30D/5D – as the 20D only has three user changeable settings – the two factory sets are permanent. “PICTURE STYLES” was an invention with the 30D model </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I haven’t played with Canon’s downloaded Picture Styles – they might be worth a look if you are not familiar with them. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Amanda: Manual with flash of course otherwise AV minus 1/3 in a blazzing sun.<br>

Good point I know that when shooting M you can get extra 2-3 stops that can be crucial.<br>

Yeah Nadine, I need to custom the camera picture style and I know that I cant go by the camera display. Testing the camera by retouching and then printing is the best. I know my local lab and I know huge retoutching can demage the print completely.<br>

so it would not surprise me if there is a difference between the Picture Styles on the 30D and 40D<br>

- give that I dont even think that 2 same bodies would produce same images.<br>

William, I see that U play with the custom picture style even when shooting..<br>

Just yeterday I was shooting this event and kept controlling all info: WB, ISO on 2 bodies, sometimes I felt like going nuts, especially afetr taking a shot and realizing that the WB was not correct... reshoot and move next...<br>

Thank you for ur info.</p>

<p ><strong ><em >"I see that U play with the custom picture style even when shooting.."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p > I do, yes - but not as often as it might seem: At functions I tend to shoot in (lighting) batches - an old habit from film days when often we'd start a new 120 roll and often shoot a Colour Chart & Grey Card test shot for the first frame, (for a clip test), for each different lighting set. (E.G. Home / Church Outside / Church Inside / Formal Portraiture / Reception) </p>

<p > </p>

<p >If I am at a swimming pool it is "set and forget" usually for the whole day – as another example.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>