Canon flash + battery pack: c.fn setting?

booray

<p>If you use a canon 580ex or exII and external battery pack, what c.fn function do you use? </p>

<p>If you use the default (all batteries charge the flash) do you notice a significant difference in the recycle time vs. the custom setting (battery pack charges flash, flash batteries run the electronics)? Also, do the flash batteries require replacing before the pack in default mode because that's the only reason I can see for setting the custom function to "pack-only."</p>

<p>As far as I can tell, there is no difference in recycling time between pack + flash and just pack. However, if you have pack + flash, and the flash bats are wearing down but the pack is still going strong, the recycling time will slow down, whereas if you keep it on pack only, the recyling time will not be affected by spent flash bats.</p>

<p>However, if you are trying to preserve the pack power to last for a long day, it would make sense to have pack + flash, and change out the flash bats halfway or when you notice they are affecting the recycling. Mostly this is what I do, since I find I really only NEED the fast recycling for certain things, but some of those things are late into the reception, so I don't like to use up my pack early on. I used to do the opposite, and found that sometimes, I'd run out of pack power too early.</p>

<p>I'm willing to trade-off some recycle time if it means I don't have to change batteries in the flash... provided the trade-off isn't too great. If there is no difference in recycle time when going "pack only" then it seems that "pack only" is the way to go. </p>

<p>Does anyone have any practical experience with "pack only" and the on-board batteries still needing a change? Personally, I typically shoot no pack during the "getting ready phase" then switch to the pack (pack only mode) for the ceremony and reception. I can't remember the last time I had to change batteries. However, I just bought a second pack for my off-camera strobe and was wondering if I should just set them both to the default for max recycle time.</p>

<p>Booray--if you use pack only, the AAs in the flash won't be spent at all. I typically use 2650 MaH NiMH batteries in the flash. If I then use pack only the whole day, when I get home, the AAs still are more than 80% charged.</p>

<p>Again--you do not gain any recycling time using pack + flash bats. It only slows if the flash bats are beginning to run down. So using your off camera flash on pack + flash bats don't get you faster recycling time over just pack.</p>

<p>I use the pack + flash battery combination all the time with my camera in hand as well as my set up of off-camera flash units.</p>

<p>I rarely, if ever, run out of battery power because I change the batteries at planned intervals because I don't want to be in the middle of a wedding element to have them start to go south on me. So, to answer your question I really don't know the answer because I change out ahead of waiting for a panic moment.</p>

<p>That's not much help beyond recommending that it can be sound practice to not plan your battery changes ahead of when they really need to be changed. Why try to cut it close? Just change out before the ceremony then change again just after the entrance into the reception hall is settling into the dinner and food hour. No need to use every ounce of battery power before changing imo.</p>

<p>I use the default setting. I find the pack runs out before the AAs if at all. I prefer this because If the pack does run out I can still shoot with flash without having to fumble with CFN settings. If you had it set Pack only, you'd surely miss shots while changing the settings. No time for that at a wedding. Why canon doesn't make critical settings available immediately by a simple switch is beyond me.</p>

<p>Bob - There is no need to change the c.fn setting. If you unplug the battery pack the flash runs off the on-board batteries regardless of the setting.</p>

<p>Nadine - I've been using the Canon pack (the latest 8 battery one) on my camera and have just purchased the Opteka (6 battery) one. My plan is to use the canon one with off-camera strobe and the smaller one on my person (it's lighter and also if it drains out I can just detach and keep shooting with on-board but if the off-camera drains out I have to get to it and change it and it might be across the room).</p>

<p>This whole thing started because my off-camera flash went dead on me in the middle of a reception a few weeks ago because I was running it at full power in a very big room with high ceilings. So now I've picked up a second pack and that got me thinking about the settings, etc. I've shot a 10 hour wedding with the canon pack and never needed to change batteries.</p>