Pentax K100D pop up flash won't fire

rdc1534

<p>It may not flash in auto mode if there is enough available light. Try the flash in Program or Manual mode. I have not used that camera in a while but I think you can't use the flash in auto mode for fill. Try it in auto mode in a dark room where it should flash. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Not to be silly, but be sure you don't have on a hat. I had that trouble when trying to use fill flash in outdoor shooting. I turned my cap backwards and and got the flash to work again. Even a little bit of presure that keeps the flash from being all the way up will stop it from firing.</p>

<p>Reading the Scott Kelby books, he'd shake your hand and give you a big "Congratulations!" for having it fail. Then you could start utilizing hot shoe and off-camera flash.</p>

<p>Sorry I haven't given you anything constructive, but food for thought anyway. If you haven't read his books (Digital Photography, and D.P. 2, and D.P. 3 released next month), he's very anti-built in flash. Great books, by the way.</p>

<p>Not to take anything away from hot shoe and off camera flash advanced techniques, but I have always found a built-in flash unit to often be very useful. It is right there when you need it now. I have gotten many good shots otherwise missed. Fine for daylight fill at modest distance.</p>

<p>I agree- if using the green mode with auto flash, strong lighting may prevent firing. But the "Auto" flash setting only refers to green mode use for the flash to pop up automatically when conditions indicate it shoud. P mode converts to "manual" mode to pop up the flash yourself, but the flash output is still regulated automatically by the camera. It should provide some output even in bright daylight, and can automatically provide fill that is balanced with the background. When in P program mode, does it fire indoors? Is your camera's battery power up to speed? If battery juice is at low ebb, the flash function is nixed.</p>