Any tips for a rainy wedding day?

martindomok

<p>Hey all,<br>

Im shooting a wedding this coming weekedn, I will meet t B&G at 11.30 am, then she will get dressed, we scheduled 2 hours before the ceremony to take pictures in a nearby park - from 12.30 to 14.30 I know not the best time of the day in the first place, but it wont be blazing with sun, it will be cludy and raining.<br>

Also, once the party will move to the Hotel for the reception, we planned to take pix 2 hours before the sun set, lets say from 17.00 on. Locations: in a nearby forest AND at their house - they have a family business and they sell costructuion machines - Caterpilar style, I wanted to take pix with machines, designed for moving land put them inside of the thingmagic and bring them in the air, to take some unique shots, now this bad weather will be killing me and I have to come with something else, any suggestions?<br>

Thansk and to all who r doing a wedding this weekend, have a nice weather!<br>

Martin</p>

It's hard to give you ideas, based on limited info, but when it rains there's not a whole lot you can do. You can try a covered place that has cool architecture, some sort of modern or old, something perhaps with arches. Perhaps there some buildings near you that will work.

Since you have about 2 hours before the wedding, maybe the church has no other weddings booked that day and you can use multiple lighting.

You can also use a green screen and go on the internet and buy a cd of about 750 different backgrounds. We often do this when taking senior pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Photo-Backdrops-Photoshop-Grunge-Backgrounds-2_W0QQitemZ160348861006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255589724e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A50

This is just one company, but check out ebay, there's several more.

<p>Some things to consider.</p>

<p>1. If you can find a place where there is an overhang (porch overhangs), but the area seen as the background is greenery or obviously outdoorsy, that would be ideal. Put the people under the overhang and treat as if they were outside. Further, if it is raining, you can backlight the rain. Don't electrocute yourself with flash gear in heavy rain, though.</p>

<p>2. Keep in mind that it may not actually rain, but be heavy overcast, or have times of heavy overcast, which is still workable, particularly if you went for the heavy feel and used dramatic lighting.</p>

<p>3. Try to determine how the bride feels about getting her gown anywhere near wet. Some brides are going to nix the whole thing or any attempt at getting within 10 feet of water/rain, and others are not going to care and jump in puddles.</p>

<p>4. Provide white umbrellas. Even if the bride won't get near the rain, it can make for some great props. Even big rubber shoes...</p>

<p>5. Re the construction machine. I would not give up that easily on this idea. Figure out some way to do this where the couple won't be completely wet (think overhangs)--or even inside the barn or building the machines are kept.</p>

<p>6. Bring a white bedsheet in case you need something to put between the train and ground.</p>

<p>If you find a structure like the one above, perhaps you and your subjects can be inside, shooting outward? Otherwise, some other similar scenario with an overhang.<br>

Also, does the familiy business have a showroom for all this heavy equipment. Have they done work at some building that they could gain access too?<br>

What city will this be taking place in? ....-Aimee</p>

<p>Nadine, just checked the weather. If it stays as it has been predicted I should get my 2 hours from 12.30 to 14.30, rain strats at 15.00 till 17.00 and then again from 19.00 just perefect for my 2 sessions.<br>

They r cool with constructuon machines, they have a shed there where we can park them and I just came up with an idea - in case of poor light, we can use the light from the machinery and go for arty shots without the flash, I can imagine that...<br>

Since you mentioned that white sheets I just remembered this picture where they used see through umbrellas and I know that people here use see through table plastics on top of their tables in the kitchen, at least they used to. That would be excellent to put over their heads - that would protect B&G and would still let the light through.<br>

Very accited excited about Saturday and looking forward.<br>

<br /> Aimee, wedding is taking place in Bratislava, Slovakia. Anyone been here already?</p>

<p>Make a tour of the town knowing you can use some of the already allocated time for some travel. Look up areas of interest near the area like Museums: Art Museum or any other type of museum that will be open. Would the museum be willing to stay open if you trade some photography?</p>

<p>Is there a cool looking mall nearby ... remember you are probably going to be framing real tight on them so think "urban" instead of "mall" ... the malls can have a lot of light and color and interesting small locations.</p>

<p>I found a great Movie Theater area inside a huge mall that was great for photos (did an engagement but would have been just right for a creative bridal session ... it had leather couches and nice little nook areas). </p>

<p>Oh, are there any fancy hotels in the area that would work? Ask them what they would like to do with the time!</p>

<p>Bring umbrella along for the lovely couple walking away from camera with umbrella covering them.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=615486">C Jo Gough</a> , huh so few people made it here too, what was ur job like for who?<br /> NG? What assignements?<br>

Not on a hassy for NG, right?<br>

The seond picture U posted is a very famous statue in BA, but I can locate it myself.<br>

<br /> I thought about malls - there is a one very close by, however, very crowded and indeed give plenty of light.<br>

I bought myself a clear see-thorugh plastic - 2mm thick, quite decent, it bends and I wont tear apart soon - at least it looks like it.It is 1.3m wide and 4 meters long, should be enough.<br>

Just checked the weather, rain from noon til 20.00 :(<br>

Also, shot a music festival today, had 2 bodies, 30 and 40D, 30D was causing problems, when I locked the AF, shutter would not go further down, eventually it did after 2-3 sec... when it got colder out there, it slight recovered.. any ideas what was the problem?</p>

<p>William, I spent one summer in Columbus, worked for Durable slate, doing roofing during my Uni break, it was a hard job, but learning experience, made me study harder :)<br>

I remember, that summer I got my Canon 10D at 1350 USD and the ownder of the comopany was freaking out for 3 days that one of his employees bought such an expensive camera...<br>

He drove a Porsche, BMW 3 series and X3 I think and I kept cool with that.</p>

<p>MM, I had Durable Slate work on my roof this past November ... expensive company but they were the only company that would work on a slate roof that was 3 floors off the ground. The do good work but they get paid well.</p>

<p>When they arrived and set up they found me out there with my camera taking photos of them working on the roof ... I was using a 70-200 lens from a fair distance away just to get a decent angle.</p>

<p>William, small world. Yes, they r well know, pricey, but do the job.<br>

3rd floor on a slate is OK, I used to do that too.<br>

As far as the state Ohio, it was great to travel the country with my camera and take pictures on different job sites, but roofing wasnt that much fun!</p>

<p>MM :: I have been traveling for about 30+ years --- 1982 > 98 was mainly Europe --- with a few trips in between to Central/South America .... really liked the architecture of Czech /Slovakia --so I returned several times ---B&W 120 w/Hassy</p>