Macro Lens Options

larry_pao

<p>Thanks Bjorn.</p>

<p>Say what do you think of the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HS macro? It seems to be very popular and supposedly a good portrait lens to boot? Plus its about half the price of the Nikkor AF200 f4 micro.</p>

<p>Surprising to me is how well the Nikon 85 f1.4 with Kenko tubes compares with dedicated macro lens like the other two i am evaluating: The Sigma 150 f2.8 macro and the Nikon 105 f4 AIS Micro. Here are some samples with the 85 f1.4 with Kenko tubes:</p><div>00U0jd-157161684.jpg.1c2be19c463c14f27d403ec86a08c973.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Surprising to me is how well the Nikon 85 f1.4 with Kenko tubes compares with dedicated macro lens like the other two i am evaluating ..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you really want to compare apples to apples, then you need to shoot a flat field subject (postage stamps for example). Then you'll see if any aberrations like field curvature or light falloff are a factor at macro distances. That won't be evident in shots like the above.</p>

<p>Of course if flat field performance isn't very important (and it really isn't for subjects like flowers, etc) and you don't want to shoot postage stamps but your intended use is as above, then things like field curvature and flatness of field are low on the scale of what's important.</p>

<p>I see your "Nikon 85 f1.4 with Kenko extensions" and raise you a "Micro-Nikkor 55 f2.8" ... :-) ;-)</p><div>00U0nl-157189584.jpg.1a11653fb1f19e8d12fd8c6757068cf5.jpg</div>

<p>Michael, I agree that we need to compare apples to apples, so do you have some flowers or bugs or something else other than circuit boards to compare with? As impressively sharp as the circuit board is, it doesn't show me anything about bokeh which is important to me. Otherwise, I have to set up the Sigma 150, the Nikon 105 and the Nikon 85 + Kenko's to shoot a circuit board. Boo hoo!</p>