Update: EN-EL3e “genuine” batteries from Hong Kong and/or China.

gogu

<p>I am returning to this subject just to add my personal experience which shows that not all products coming from the Far East are fakes…<br>

After we’ve discussed in two threads in large the problem of the genuine and generic/fake batteries bought on eBay from Far East dealers, I decided to buy a battery from such a dealer and see if it will be a genuine one or not. I e-mailed him and asked if his batteries are genuine or generic and he answered that they are all genuine, he also provided me with pictures of the “real thing”. Although the pictures on eBay were of the “white” box and those he sent me of the brown box, I decided to go on and ordered one.<br>

It arrived in just 5 days (!) and it is indeed a genuine EN EL3e battery! "Nikon Corporation" is there (as opposed to "Nikon Corp."), also the golden hologram with the four cuts is present (both on battery and the box!). The battery is the one with the “Sony” inscription on it but as we’ve already established such batteries are considered genuine.<br>

True, the price was US$47.00 (S&H included) instead of US$19.00 to US$25.00 of the generic/fake ones but you really can’t find such a low price here in Europe (and as I could read in previous posting either in Canada).<br>

So bottom line:</p>

<p >1) there are, too, honest dealers in Hong Kong:-)</p>

<p >2) for the European and Canadian members of this forum there is a cheap alternative to the exorbitant prices in their countries.</p>

<p ><br>

I don’t know if it’s OK to post the IDs of these two -honest- eBay sellers here, as soon as the moderator of this group gives me the green light I will post them.</p>

<p>rgrds</p>

<p>For the record, this is the previous thread on this topic, when a member here unintentionally bought counterfeit EN-EL3e batteries: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Tny7">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Tny7</a></p>

<p>Gogu, if you don't mind, could you post an image of the flat side of the battery so that we can identify those signs of counterfeits. With that, please feel free to post those links. Just put ebai instead of ebay, and I'll fix them.</p>

<p>However, for members in the US, $47 is not inexpensive, though. Amazon.com has them for $37 with free shipping in the US.</p>

<p>Sure thing, just I haven't my camera right now so I am going to use a scanner, sorry for the poor quality...<br>

I know that in the US you can find these batteries cheaper but as I said in my posting in the older thread, here in Europe (and in Canada as I hear) they cost around 67 euros no shipping included, which is about US$100.00!<br>

The links to two honest Hong Kong based sellers who sell genuine batteries:<br>

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330344342745">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330344342745</a><br>

<br>

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130317889302">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130317889302</a><br>

<br>

Hope you all enjoy pleasant experiences and hassle free purchases from these eBay sellers.<br>

<br>

rgrds</p>

<p>When you consider what photography costs, the cost of batteries is the least of it. I don't understand spending thousands of dollars on cameras and lenses and then looking to save a few dollars on batteries, especially when a bad battery can ruin a very expensive camera. My feeling is that you don't skimp on the cheap stuff.</p>

<p>Then again I know where you can get some really cheap SD cards.</p>

<p>Have bought EN-EL3e as low as $9.95 on eBay in an auction a year ago. Had not heard about fakes, but these worked well enough for me and still do. When I buy with auctions, do a search for auction only. Then, sort for low price. <br>

Watching for one about to end or one ending in less than an hour. If it has no bids on it, watch it and bid with less than ten minutes. Sometimes someone else bids and the price goes up, if it goes over $14 stopped bidding. If you do not use advanced search with US only, you may get one being sold from China. But, I believe what is happening is someone in the US buys them wholesale, who knows a good source, then puts them in an auction.<br>

Have been wondering about problems with explosions, etc. Personally I never leave a battery in the charger long after it has charged. Most times am charging one that is not dead, before I leave the house. Problems may be coming from ones left in the charger overnight, etc...</p>

<p><em>"When you consider what photography costs, the cost of batteries is the least of it. I don't understand spending thousands of dollars on cameras and lenses and then looking to save a few dollars on batteries, especially when a bad battery can ruin a very expensive camera. My feeling is that you don't skimp on the cheap stuff.</em><br>

<em>Then again I know where you can get some really cheap SD cards."</em><br>

First, also bought my camera on eBay, from a US dealer, with a Nikon warrantee.<br>

Took three months to get it for the lowest bid. Checking first to see what the lowest price was that a D200 had sold for, then did a search for all D200's Noticed Cameta Camera had some good deals in auctions. Then, put in the lowest bid in all cameras auctioned.<br>

If someone else bid it up, just entered a bid on another. It took 3 months to get the price I wanted. I'm retired and the wait saved me more than $1000 which I then put into a a 70-300mm VR lens and got a buy on that also. <br>

When retired on Social Security, a dollar saved, is one I can use for something else. What I save on batteries or other items, means it can be used on another accessory like putting it towards a battery pack, etc... Had generic batteries for two years now, they still work as well as the Nikon battery that came with the camera and battery pack.<br>

Have never paid more than $10 on eBay for a 4gig SD either. <br>

Now use a program called Snipe to snag them, so don't have to sit and wait for the auction to close...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For what it is worth: The (several) Nikon cells I have read:</p>

<p>Nikon Corporation Made in Japan</p>

<p>None have 13 WH on the markings.</p>

<p>And none have a split Hologram (as it appears in the photo above.)</p>

<p>To chance a battery on a thousand (or a couple of thousand) dollar camera body is your risk.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi.<br>

I know folk are getting tired of this thread.These are my 2 batteries. Both differ slightly.Both say Nikon Corperation and made in Japan.One has 4 notches on the hologram the one does not. Are either of them genuine or not.Thanks.<br>

Ray</p>

<p>Hi.<br />I know folk are getting tired of this thread.These are my 2 batteries. Both differ slightly.Both say Nikon Corperation and made in Japan.One has 4 notches on the hologram the one does not. Are either of them genuine or not.The one on the right has the notches in the hologram. Thanks.<br />Ray</p><div>00TxZg-155569584.jpg.6f42d0232246ba018bdf19677fd1d243.jpg</div>

<p>

<p>Ray,<br>

the one in the right looks genuine, the one in the left has all the signs of a counterfeit: four notches on the hologram not present, the warning under the "Nikon Corporation Made in Japan" inscription is on black background and not on the correct white like in your other battery, the recycling sign with the Li-ion inscription is off center and finally the font of the “Nikon” lettering is significantly thinner than in the genuine one...<br>

Sorry for bringing bad news.<br>

<br>

rgrds</p>

</p>

<p>

<blockquote>

<p ><strong><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=96425">Jerry Litynski</a></strong><strong> </strong><a href="http://www.photo.net/member-status-icons"><strong ></strong></a><strong>, Jul 16, 2009; 08:04 p.m.</strong></p>

<p >For what it is worth: The (several) Nikon cells I have read:</p>

<p >.......</p>

<p >.......</p>

<p >And none have a split Hologram (as it appears in the photo above.)</p>

</blockquote>

</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Jerry,</p>

<p >If you look at the earlier thread (<a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Tny7">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Tny7</a>) you’ll see that all newer batteries with the “Sony ED” inscription on them have a split hologram!</p>

<p >Obviously it’s a newer hologram and 100% genuine.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >rgrds</p>

<p>It looks like Nikon has changed the appearance of genuine EN-EL3e batteries a couple of times over the years. Therefore there are three different versions. The one Gogu got is the latest version; essentially it has a different sticker on it.</p>

<p>The one of the left size in Ray Tatnell's image is a counterfeit. See the image of a genuine one (first version) below:</p>

<ol>

<li>The Nikon logo should be in bold font (yellow box)</li>

<li>The recycling notice in Japanese should have a white background with dark wording (green).</li>

<li>There should be 4 notches on the hologram (blue)</li>

<li>In the warning in Japanese, there are two words that should have 2 dots on the right side of the words (red). In the counterfeit, there is only 1 dot. That is the equivalent of a typo in Japaneses, apparently from someone who does not know Japanese.</li>

</ol><div>00TxdD-155617584.jpg.e6e33c3ada790490facdd55c9372213b.jpg</div>

<p>After reading these threads, I came across other helpful links:</p>

<p ><a href="http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d300-battery-compatibility/">http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d300-battery-compatibility/</a><br>

<a href="http://thoughts-on-film.blogspot.com/2008/04/review-phottix-battery-for-nikon-en.html">http://thoughts-on-film.blogspot.com/2008/04/review-phottix-battery-for-nikon-en.html</a><br>

I ordered two D300 compatible Phottix batteries for $24 including US shipping from eBay seller etefore. Received them within a week. After charging, my D200's menu shows all the battery info, including 100% charge. So far they both work fine.<br>

The batteries have no Nikon reference on them, only Phottix. There is no hologram. I only want batteries of good value. Genuine Nikon parts, Nikon logo and hologram mean nothing to me.</p>

<p>Genuine branded batteries in the UK tend to be excessively priced. For myself, I have no qualms about using honest aftermarket replacements. Like many, I work in electronics and am well aware that manufacturer's "genuine" batteries tend to be outsourced to variety of manufacturers in different countries, typically including Malaysia and China. The chances seem good that in many cases, the aftermarket batteries are the same units without the branding, or minor variations on the manufacturer's design. Typically, they use higher capacity cells, probably because of a shorter time-to-market and later starting point.</p>

<p>With the Chinese made stuff, I'm guessing that at least some of the counterfeit packs will be, in effect, genuine Nikon items, sold out of the back door of the factory which had been making the real deal, or knockoffs made from the same specs and with the same branding passed along from someone who was approached by Nikon to make a test batch or two. I'd be suspicious of the intent of someone selling packs from china labelled "made in Japan", but I'd not be surprised to find batches of batteries which differ in, and only in having dodgy faked holograms.</p>

<p>As I see it, an aftermarket vendor with its own branding, which isn't trying to increase the value of its product with bogus "genuine" branding, is in most cases probably going to be shipping decent enough batteries. I've had few problems with aftermarket unbranded LiIon batteries, though LiIon cells can and will catch fire or explode if abused, and non-existant or substandard internal charging/control circuitry can certainly lead to this.</p>

<p>I've used unbranded aftermarket batteries for all the DSLRs I've used, without problems or damage to the cameras, chargers or myself. I did get some very cheap aftermarket batteries for a Nikon Coolpix compact which turned out to be crap (hopeless at retaining charge) but they still didn't catch fire.</p>

<p>As DSLRs don't charge the batteries in-camera, I doubt there's too much risk to the camera itself even should you get an exploding one, though to be sure, exploding in the charger on your living room carpet is bad enough. </p>

<p>To judge from Nikon's own battery recalls, from exploding Dell laptops etc., "genuine original" doesn't necessarily guarantee the safety of a battery, although obviously a manufacturer is far more likely to compensate you if one of their branded batteries catches fire.</p>

<p>Not sure where you'd stand if a dealer has swapped a genuine for a counterfeit, though, as it appears may have happened. The dealer might themselves have been merely naive about their own sourcing. Kind of hard to tell. Counterfeit stuff is, IMO, much more problematic than unbranded/off-brand, because it sets out with unscrupulous intent from the get-go.</p>

<p>In heavy-ish use, a D200 seems to eat batteries at a fierce rate, and I figure for a day's shooting out of range of any charging arrangements, you're looking at three or four batteries minimum. At Nikon genuine prices in the UK, this gets well into "silly".</p>

<p>Jessops list EN-EL3e at 56 UK pounds ($92 USD). The aftermarket replacements I've bought, which make no pretence of being Nikon, work fine and which last longer than the by now slightly tired genuine one which came with the camera, cost about fifteen UK pounds (about $25 USD). Since the camera body was under 500 UK pounds s/h (in mint condition with a factory refurb warranty) and I'm not so well-off as to not care, I'm not about to spend a further 200 quid on a set of batteries which will need replacing after a few hundred cycles whether they're branded Nikon or not.</p>

<p>Early-adopters with much more disposable income and much lighter shooting requirements may differ considerably, and I fully accept that for them, the genuine batteries are the way to go. People in the US who only have to pay 38 bucks for genuine EN-EL3e replacements likewise, I can understand completely why they're not willing to take any sort of chance for the sake of saving ten bucks - if the price difference in the UK was the same, I would feel the same way. </p>

<p> </p>