Best most durable hot lights

<p>Lowel has always been considered the leader in pro-grade hot lights. Some people today speak highly of Photoflex equipment especially with their softbox designs, although their selection is more limited. Lowel is built like a tank, and can take lots of abuse in travel.<br>

When I need hot light, I use Lowel.</p>

<p>I would not put a 750 watt in a soft box. I use Lowel DP bounced into the Lowell heat resistent umbrella or thru a Calumet free standing diffuser. Humans can tolerate either all day long. The diffuser is just like a soft box, 4x6 feet. Put the DP around 18" to 2' from the diffuser.</p>

<p>SV made low/high power switches at one time, maybe still, so you set up on low power or at least warm up the lights on low for 10 sec before goin g high. It preserves the bulbs.</p>

<p>I don't use hot lights much anymore, but I have a Westcott spiderlite (1,000 watt tungsten bulb) in a Westcott heat resistant 3x4 softbox. It never caused me any problems. The softbox has vents to allow the heat to escape and, since most folks can only stand to be near these lights for a few minutes at a time, the lights are not on for long periods of time anyway.</p>