How to Network with Wedding Vendors?

valenda_welch

<p>OK, so this might seem like a stupid question, but I'm still starting up my wedding photography business. Most of the advice I read on here for new wedding photographers includes networking with other local photographers and wedding vendors.</p>

<p>So, my question is, how do you recommend I contact other photographers and wedding businesses about networking? Where do I find them? Should I email or cold call them? Any ideas or tips? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I always go out of my way to network with them @ the wedding. I always get the cards of good DJs, the reception caterering manager, and if there is a wedding planner I normally email them about a week before to introduce myself.<br>

I also try to meet people through local vendor groups, etc. There are a lot of wedding vendor organizations where people can meet and exchange information.</p>

<p>Basically what Betty said...<br>

I try to introduce myself (at least over the phone) to the wedding planner before the wedding. I find the good ones are in contact from the very beginning.</p>

<p>The I give out cards to the other vendors and ask them to email me for photos they can use for promotion. The get 'web sized' watermarked images if the email. The pictures are either of them doing their job, or their products. I have never had a vendor (other than a wedding planner) refer me, but I have booked weddings from brides seeing my work on other vendors' websites.</p>

<p>The best way to introduce yourself to other photographers is by passing a lead on to them. When you come bearing gifts you get a better response.</p>

<p>Valenda, to keep your company name fresh in the minds of other vendors, make sure you email to them a couple of days following the event. The email should say thank you for their help at the event and a brief mention about how much you'd like to continue a professional relationship.<br>

I also mention specific vendors in my blogs about the event and add specific vendors to my Recommended Vendors link with a name and URL to their website. I also let them know about it, so that they can howefully reciprocate.<br>

Referrals are gold in the wedding industry. I just referred a prospective bride to some videographers in the Cincinnati Area with whom I worked and asked her that she mention my name. This way, I am on their mind as a "valued" vendor.</p>

<p><em><strong>So, my question is, how do I contact other photographers </strong></em><br>

Join you Local / State / National Professional Photography Association(s)<br />Then, be an active member.<br>

<br>

<strong><em>and wedding businesses about networking? </em></strong><br>

Join you Local or State Chamber of Commerce / Business Association(s)<br>

Then, become an active member.<br>

<br>

<em><strong>Any ideas or tips?</strong></em><strong><em><br /><br /></em></strong><br>

Always have your business cards with you, and a nice ball point pen, and practice neat handwriting.<br>

Ensure the reverse of your business card is blank and not shiny and can take a ball point pen<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>Valenda,<br>

Don't hide behind email. Think about it: would you want to recommend someone who didn't take the time to call or visit? You want them to like you.<br>

Offer to do some FREE photography for non-photographic wedding vendors. Photograph their cakes, flowers, room set-ups, food displays, etc. and make them a presentation piece like an album, folio, wall prints, etc. with your name and website in each image. Make sure that if it's an album that the photos aren't removable and that the album is full so they don't use it to display other photograpers' images along with yours. If you give them something they can use to sell THEIR services, they'll show it all the time. Everyone wins.<br>

Keep the relationship going. Drop by with some candy, flowers, fancy popcorn, or whatever from time to time to keep your face in their face. Take them to lunch. These suggestions are all more effective and a lot less expensive that print ads....-Aimee</p>