Collectableameras and their use.

fld

<p>I collect old and even "antique" cameras. I love to use them. I wish I could find a convenient source for 5x7 glass plates, but donot expect do that soon. I have an acquaintance who shoots 5x7 Tri-X exclusively for landscapes and gets u[pwards of $1500 for his 30x40 prints which he prints himself. Nice lab!<br>

So among our classic users, who among us is actually shooting LF or MF from earlier than, say, 1940 or so?</p>

<p>I use many, many cameras in the age group you mention. I especially like my glass plate cameras due to their ability to shoot just one or two shots and not need to use a whole roll before processing. Plate cameras also have the unique ability and flexibility to do many different processes as well as film. I use mostly 2x3, 6 1/2 x 9 cm, 9x12 cm, and 4x5 cameras.</p>

<p>When you say you are looking for glass plates, are you just talking about plain glass or negative plates with emulsion? You can get plain glass from your picture framer by the piece, dozen, gross, or whatever you want. Some places pack in boxes of 50 or 60.</p>

<p>I've gone out a few times with my 4x5 Pony Premo #4. I've even shot Wratten and Wainright glass plates in it. (All but the center was totally fogged.) Mostly it shoots T-Max 100, although I've some assortment of vintage 4x5 cut film to use it as well. (Gevaert Panchromosa, Kodak 2475 Recording, etc.) It makes a wood field camera seem heavy!<br>

I shot with a 3A Autographic Kodak last weekend, with Verichrome Pan 122 film. Unfortunately, while I'd shot this camera fine with the plate adapter back, I had no idea that the focus scale was grossly off. Got that adjusted now, I do believe. Sad to waste a roll of VP122, however it had rather more base fog than most rolls, so it wasn't one of the best rolls.</p>

<p>Well, I recently picked up an Agfa Billy I, and just puchased what I believe to be a Certix Model B, (hasn't arrived yet and seller called it a Certix model A US but I don't think thats what it is from the pictures of it, also have a couple Brownies including the Hawkeye flash model and Six-20 Junior, all in working order and getting used. I am after a "Plate Camera" but haven't found the right deal yet. I am steadily progressing backwards toward older equipment and hoping to learn older processes. I just recently started processing B&W after a 40 year break and hope to start learning some others processes before long (like contact printing). The biggest setback right now is no space for a dark room so I am scanning negatives and printing digitally.</p>

<p>I have about 20 large format Graflexes, the oldest an accordion hood 4x5 Auto Graflex slr from 1906-1910, the newest a 4x5 Super Graphic from the 1970's, that all work, and I use for large format photography. Somewhere in there is a 5x7 Speed Graphic made between 1912-1915, and a 5x7 Auto Graflex that I place between 1916-1917. The 5x7 Auto Graflex was the only camera I used for 2-3 years, but the novelty finally wore off. There's also a 4x5 Super-D that's more practical to use with the auto-diaphragm 190mm Optar lens. I also have a 4x5 Pony Premo, a Seneca Competitor 8x10 view camera, a Century Universal 8x10 with a Graflex focal plane shutter, and an unknown make 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 view camera (I also have a 5x7 back for it) that I use. With the 8x10's I've made prints up to 30"x40". The rest will generally produce sharp prints up to 20"x24".I forgot to mention a Seneca 11x14 view camera with a 12/21/28" Turner Reich Triple convertible lens. I also have several medium format roll film cameras. My favorites are: a Kodak Medalist; a Kodak Chevron; a Mamiya 6 folder; an Ansco Automatic TLR; a Weltaflex TLR; a Voigtlander Bessa I; and my latest find, a Voigtlander Bessa. I took the Medalist on two business trips to Japan. I had people stopping me on the street to look at the camera & try to buy it. I also have several Kodak box cameras and folders in 620, 120, 116, 616, and 122 roll film sizes. I've been trying to keep the 122 folders working by cutting up 5" wide aerial film and respooling it using vintage paper backers and spools. It's not something to do very often, and you definitely need a darkroom. I also have a Graflex K-20 aerial camera that takes 5" film rolls. I'm still working on shooting the first roll, I think it holds 50 pictures to a roll. In a similar vien, I have a Keystone F8 aerial camera fitted with a 5x7 sheet film magazine. This is getting to the point that it's almost too large to use, especially if you have a bad back.</p>

<p>I have about 20 large format Graflexes, the oldest an accordion hood 4x5 Auto Graflex slr from 1906-1910, the newest a 4x5 Super Graphic from the 1970's, that all work, and I use for large format photography. Somewhere in there is a 5x7 Speed Graphic made between 1912-1915, and a 5x7 Auto Graflex that I place between 1916-1917. The 5x7 Auto Graflex was the only camera I used for 2-3 years, but the novelty finally wore off. There's also a 4x5 Super-D that's more practical to use with the auto-diaphragm 190mm Optar lens. I also have a 4x5 Pony Premo, a Seneca Competitor 8x10 view camera, a Century Universal 8x10 with a Graflex focal plane shutter, and an unknown make 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 view camera (I also have a 5x7 back for it) that I use. With the 8x10's I've made prints up to 30"x40". The rest will generally produce sharp prints up to 20"x24".I forgot to mention a Seneca 11x14 view camera with a 12/21/28" Turner Reich Triple convertible lens. I also have several medium format roll film cameras. My favorites are: a Kodak Medalist; a Kodak Chevron; a Mamiya 6 folder; an Ansco Automatic TLR; a Weltaflex TLR; a Voigtlander Bessa I; and my latest find, a Voigtlander Bessa. I took the Medalist on two business trips to Japan. I had people stopping me on the street to look at the camera & try to buy it. I also have several Kodak box cameras and folders in 620, 120, 116, 616, and 122 roll film sizes. I've been trying to keep the 122 folders working by cutting up 5" wide aerial film and respooling it using vintage paper backers and spools. It's not something to do very often, and you definitely need a darkroom. I also have a Graflex K-20 aerial camera that takes 5" film rolls. I'm still working on shooting the first roll, I think it holds 50 pictures to a roll. In a similar vien, I have a Keystone F8 aerial camera fitted with a 5x7 sheet film magazine. This is getting to the point that it's almost too large to use, especially if you have a bad back.</p>

<p>Have a Zeiss 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 glass plate. 11 box cameras. One, an Ensigh JB junior, one a Seneca 2A Scout. One kodak is a 2C, another is a 3 Brownie. Also,have a 4x5 Graphic and a 6x9 Speed. 3x4 Zeiss , 6x9 Zeiss. An Agfa Dual format 616. Kodak 2A Junior.</p>

<p>I have and use a Pre-Anniverary Speed Graphic (1930) in 5x7 and a Super Speed Graphic 4x5. Am presently mounting a Kowa Graphic 210 in barrel on the 4x4 lens board of the 5x7 to use with the focal plane shutter (still works fine). Love the big negative but have to print contact as I have no enlarger for it.<br>

I wish I still had my Super Graflex 4x5.</p>

<p>Hi Russ, That is my Agfa B2 Cadet, slightly modified. The viewfinders were changed out with good lenses from a Kodak, and the adapter rings were added to the front plate, along with a tripod mount and a focus rail system and a ground glass to use close-up lenses. Here it is with a 2X tele making it a 200mm on a 6x9 negative, I also have a .5 ultra wide for it. By using these adapters that are .5 and 2x it is easy to use the viewfinder and estimate double or half. It's a pretty cool little camera and with ND filters you can set the exposure just where you want it. This is an example of getting the most out of nothing.</p><div>00TwmD-155047784.jpg.b7651ed5773b5ae735760a5034cc6c6b.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Ralf,</p>

<p>This camera I made as good as I could and as versatile as possible, starting with a simple cardboard box camera. It was part of a bet. As you know, most of what makes a good photograph is the photographer, and only a small part is the equipment. I made a bet with a friend that I could take a better picture with a cardboard box camera than he could with his Nikon. Without going into all the details, in the end, I won the bet with this camera !</p>