Nikon D200 with Photoshop CS

<p>I have been a member of photo.net for a long time but this is the first time I have ever clicked on this forum.<br>

I am able to open NEF files from my Nikon D70 with Photoshop CS, thanks to a plugin, but it won't open NEF files produced by a used Nikon D200 I recently purchased. Can you recommend a fix? I am a pure amateur so telling me to buy the latest version of photoshop will not be helpful. I would rather save my $$$ to upgrade to a D300 eventually.</p>

<p>My PC runs Windows XP.</p>

<p>Reality is that you will have to upgrade. Raw processing is constantly updated. This is the reality.</p>

<p>However, you can use a raw converter utility from Adobe (free) to convert into dng files. I believe you may have issues opening these up with PS previous to CS2.</p>

<p>And yes, there is always jpg......</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Kerry -</p>

<p>Go to Adobe's website. There should be a download of the files you need to open D200 Raw files available for FREE. If you can't find it there, contact adobe support. They may be able to send it to you. Basically the CSx programs are calling the adobe raw converter which is "Free" it's just a question of whether or not they (adobe) still have the version of Camera Raw which supports CS 2 available.</p>

<p>Check that out before you shell out for an upgrade to CS4 or Cs3... especially if you're happy with the performance of CS2.<br>

<br /> Dave</p>

<p>You need to use DNG or a later version of Photoshop CS or NX2. NX2 is the best converter for Nikon files and does most anything you want to edit pics, burn/dodge, curves, sharpen, correct CA, add picture controls. Then you can move the resulting file to CS by going to File- open with and it moves as a TIFF. You should rarely need to do this.</p>

<p>$119 at Cameta Camera. Download a trial free from Nikon USA.com. Then just use the registration number you get from Cameta. Do not uninstall and reinstall. </p>

<p>CS2 is the first version of Photoshop that supports the D200. Your options are:<br>

1) Upgrade to CS2 or later.<br>

2) Use Adobe DNG converter (free) to convert to DNG and open in CS<br>

3) Use another program like NX2 or Adobe Lightroom or other RAW converter<br>

Lightroom is a nice option as it will do all of your raw processing and catalog your work. I now do all of my file management, printing, and most of my processing in lightroom. I only port to PS for key images.</p>

<p>Kerry -<br>

I really need to have some coffee before I read these posts in the morning. </p>

<p>Since CS doesn't support the D200 than an option (cheap) would be to go out and buy a copy of PS Elements 7.0 or 8.0 whatever the curent version is. You'd be able to open the D200 files, save them as jpg and then edit away. </p>

<p>A free option is google Picasa. It reads NEF files and will allow you to save them as jpg's.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

I second David's method. I open D200 NEF files with a copy of PS Elements 2 that came bundled free with ... I think a film

scanner. They can then be opened in my old copy of PS 5.5 (that runs in Mac Classic) for post-production. Voila!

Old software and computers work well together. If you invest in new software, chances are you'll need to also invest in new

hardware to run it properly.

<p>don't forget ViewNX will open, allow basic edits and raw manipulations, and exporting to tiff, jpeg or .nef. this is free and would solve your problem with the benefit of nikon's own rendering of its nef files which is very, very nice in my opinion.</p>

<p>Thanks for the good advice, gang.<br>

I received an offer to purchase Paint Shop Pro X2 for about $30 and that's I did.<br>

It can open D200 NEFs and seems to have more than enough capability to handle my limited skills.<br>

Thanks for the info. I am surprised that CS was not given the ability to open D200 NEFs.</p>