Leitz Canada 50/2.0 R or Newer 50/2.0 R ?

• 5 weeks later...

<p>

<p>Maile, your later 50 Summicron-R will also be an E55 filter thread lens, perhaps with "ROM" contacts. It will be of identical optical formula to the Canadian Summicron 50 on your R3.</p>

<p>I have both the early and late versions of the 50 Summicron-R. My 1968 Summicron-R is made in Germany, has two cams, weighs 340g and takes Series VI filters.</p>

<p>My E55 Summicron-R 50 was made in Canada in 1978, has three cams and weighs 290g with a built-in hood. I tend to use the E55 Summicron 50 with an old Minolta D57KB clamp-on hood, as the built-in hood is a bit short for my liking when you have a filter on the front. See: (http://minolta.eazypix.de/shades/lensshades.html) for more details.</p>

<p>Both Summicron's are excellent lenses, but if I had to choose, it would be the early Series VI lens, based on it's incredible centre sharpness, luscious colour rendition and beautiful bokeh. This may be the best 50 I have ever used. My other favourite standard lens is the 50 Summicron-M Rigid.</p>

<p>Runners-up include the 50/2.8 Color-Skopar on my Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa and the 58/2.0 Biotar on my Contax S.</p>

<p>The E55 Summicron-R 50 is sharper in the corners wide open and has higher contrast, but also has a harder edge to the bokeh than the Series VI lens. This sometimes annoys me with wide-open shots of flowers and plants taken at minimum focal distance.</p>

</p>