Continuous lighting for bridal portraits done in-house....

laura_kamler

<p>Is anyone out there using continuous lighting for their in-house bridal portraits?<br />Would you mind sharing your set up or what you feel might work that you have used?<br />SB-800 or 900 available for on camera or off camera flash. Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>The SB800/900 is not continuous lighting. They are on-camera strobes that can be used TTL off-camera wirelessly with the Nikon Commander or another on-camera flash ... or manually and on Auto using a radio trigger like a Pocket Wizard. </p>

<p>Continuous light is exactly that ... it is on continuously. Sometimes called "hot lights," because the Tungsten type contineuous light often gets very hot, there are now other type light sources that do not get so hot. There are a number of contineuous lighting solutions on the market because motion photography has to use them ... from simple video lights to very sophisticated ones used in Hollywood.</p>

<p>There are also cooler running solutions like HMI lighting (Hydrargyrum Medium-arc Iodide, i.e. mercury-halide) that produces a 5600K color temp light the same as strobes. Only expert users should get involved with HMI lighting as they can explode if used too many times. </p>

<p>Care should also be exercised when using Tungsten type contineous lighting because not all light modifiers (like certain soft boxes) can withstand the heat build-up.</p>

<p>IMO, the best solution for in-house Bridal work is a nice system of mono-lights or a generator box and multiple heads ... the modeling lights in the strobe heads can be used to see what effect the light has on the subject, and the strobe will produce most any kind of light quality depending on the light modifier used.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>IMO the better way to approach in house portraits is knowing what the home looks like inside.<br>

(i.e) Window positions, room sizes, color of walls etc...</p>

<p>Each shooting scenario will vary. One sign of a good photographer is one who evaluates each shooting situation and then makes some artistic decisions based on the information; not simply looking for a cookie cutter appraoch.</p>

<p>I'll agree with the first response you have. Mono-lights with modifiers, SB's, umbrellas, gels for balance etc...</p>

<p>Continuous lighting works if you don't mind shooting at wide open apertures and warming your subjects to the point of discomfort. Some continuous lighting sources run cooler, but I know of few pro's who use them as habit. Strobes on the other hand are fast, maintain color consistency and IMO are easier to setup.</p>

<p>Run cool lights instead of hot lights. There are quite a few companies that manufacture them and they run cool as there name suggests.Your subject will be as cool as a pickle. Here is a link from BH Photo for a great cool light kit- <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500159-REG/Interfit_INT116_Super_Cool_lite_5.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500159-REG/Interfit_INT116_Super_Cool_lite_5.html</a><br>

I prefer continuous because you can constantly see where the light falls on your subject. They are also daylight balanced and quite inexpensive. They are perfect for your needs and easy to transport and setup. Good luck!</p>

<p>Len, you read my shorthand!!! I will check those out. There is a two fold reason for wanting continuous lighting for me which included dual use for my videography. The 800/900 are available for fill is what I meant. In-house I meant studio. I'll try to be more specific next time. Thanks all for your input.</p>