D700 and older lenses

james_priestley

<p>I waited for the DSLR's to mature to a point when I thought I could get a DSLR and not be tempted into buying a new one a few years down the road. I sold my F100, N70, and SB28 to buy a D200. I was happy sorta. DX is good. DX is bad. The lenses used on the film bodies still worked but with the 1.5 change in perspective. Good and Bad. I could work with with it though....</p>

<p>Then photos opportunities started happening in dark environments. Even fast lenses would not work. I had and still have a 180F2.8, 105F2.8, 24F2.8 and my only zoom, the 35-70F2.8. My newest lens is a 50F1.4 I bought to try to help in the low light..... The lenses just could not get it done. I have pushed 800 film to 3200 with icky result with these lenses but what could one do? I was at the limits of the equipment. What to do, What to do?</p>

<p>Then the D700 was announced. Long story short I bought it a few months back. I thought the F100 was a heck of a camera. Nothing compared to the D700. All of my lenses work just fine. Very impressed. I have been in situations where there where lots of other people with cameras but I was the only one taking photos. Their equipment just could not handle the low light. A D700 pushed to 3200 with a 180/F2.8 or a 35-70F2.8 COULD get the photos. And I needed every bit of speed out of the lenses which where shot wide open or just a bit stepped down.</p>

<p>But here is the rub. A D700 can only do so much. Low light still requires good, fast glass. If one needs high ISO then one is going to need fast lenses. When I am shooting at 3200 ISO with the D700, the lens is at 2.8 to 4.0 at best.</p>

<p>DSLR are computers to which we attach lenses. Computers go up in function and down in price every couple of years. The price of my lenses has remained stable. Good glass ain't cheap. And it ain't going to get cheap. My D700 will be a lot cheaper in a few years...</p>

<p>Later,<br>

Dan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>i guess my original point Shun, was that you don't need to spend a fortune on good, fast glass. <br>

i work day in day out on less than $1200 in fast nikkors (all bought second hand and now with many, many miles on them). i need a d700 before i need to trade my 80-200 for a 70-200 vr.<br>

good glass can be cheap (relatively). <br>

20-35mm f2.8<br>

35-70mm f2.8<br>

50mm f1.8 af<br>

80-200 (push pull) f2.8<br>

180mm f2.8 (first version with plastic exterior barrel and exact same optics as current)<br>

70-210 f4 (the constant f4 version if you can find it)</p>