White vinyl backdrop...

<p>Hello to all! This is my first post for the portrait side of things. I am not new to photography<br />but am new to selling it and especially new to studio set ups. I am interested in an all white<br />background and want to know if you prefer the white vinyl and your prefered source for the<br />material. Also, are there any issues lighting it that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Laura,</p>

<p>I always liked using white paper backgrounds because they came on long wide rolls that you could hang from the ceiling. You could pull them down and across the floor creating a "rounded" corner so that you didn't have a line where the floor meets the wall -- seamless background paper. Painting a background wall flat white (ceiling white) works fine (as long as you don't want to do full figure shots. You don't want anything that will reflect your light if at all possible. You also do not want to have wrinkles in it. The main lighting "problem" is to light it evenly. Lighting evenly from both sides works well.</p>

<p>Unless you have a kind of vinyl I don't know about, it will be very heavy and somewhat glossy. It may also have a texture that might show up in your photographs. For these reasons, it would not be may first choice.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>Hi Laura<br>

Lasolite makes vinyl backgrounds for photography. They are intended as long lasting replacements for seamless paper. I nave no personal experience with this product but all my other lastolite purchases were top notch professional products.</p>

<p>Edmond</p>

<p>Sorry to post again, but I ran out of time to edit. I went to Lasolite's site. Their backgrounds seem quite expensive. I'm not sold on them, yet. I would have to see them in operation before I would invest that much money in a background. There is a store in the states, (New York) that is suppose to handle them, but they say to order from the manufacturer. </p>

<p>Mark</p>

• 2 months later...