Thoughts on Think Tank Speed Racer

gabesouza

<p>Nice 600 Nic ;-)</p>

<p>The comfort does look exceptional though which will be a nice break from shoulder bags especially as they'll be many street festivals I'll be covering for the paper coming up through the summer and into early fall which means lots of walking. Anything to make things more comfortable is a welcome respite as I'm sure you all know.</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the input folks.</p>

<p>Gabe.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>To Matt Laur. I want to make sure I got this right. You carry inside the Speed Racer all the things displayed in the photo captioned "Most of what was stuffed in there". Correct? My problem is that I don't see room for those things in the photo captioned "Quick-grab carry configuration". What am I missing? Thanks...</p>

<p>Hi Mick--<br /><br />Yes, everything you see sitting there was (five minutes before I took those shots) inside that bag. There are still some <em>other</em> things in there that I didn't even take out (a tripod mounting foot for the 70-200/2.8, and some other odds and ends. What may not be obvious when looking at those shots is that I'm sometimes putting things one on top of the other, vertically.<br /><br />For example, the 30/1.4 prime sits on top of the TC17 - with the TC in its own little padded bag, so that they don't mess with each other. The mid-zoom stays on the camera, and the camera body is supported by the two dividers, pointing nose-down. That leaves room <em>below</em> the camera/lens to put the ultra-wide. The strobe stands vertically, next to the 70-200/2.8. <br /><br />Really! It all goes in very nicely. It's not lightweight when every bit of that stuff is in there, but it's very compact considering the payload.</p>

<p>>Yes, everything you see sitting there was (five minutes before I took those shots) inside that bag. ...<<br>

Thanks! I'm going to get one for when I don't want to carry my backpack-type Lowepro Slingshot 200 which holds about the same amount (Canon XSi, five lenses - one on the camera, flash, etc).<br>

Do you need the lens changing bag in order to change lenses while wearing the bag?</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Sorry I missed your response and follow-up question, Malcolm. No, you don't need the lens bags if you've got enough room as-is. It's a matter of just how packed-in you have things. If I've got to jugglel a lens that's on the body with one that's less frequently used and is at the bottom of my bag... well, the lens changing bag does help. But if you've got a moment and aren't scrambling, the main bag should do you just fine.</p>

<p>Just a follow up. I got the Speed Freak instead of the Speed Racer (not on purpose; not going to tell the story here) and I find that this smaller pack holds my XSi and five lenses, one mounted on the camera, and a flash unit plus a few accessories. So it does the job for me in an even smaller package. I'm still getting used to accessing everything. I'll mainly use that bag to carry everything to where I'm going, then use a small selection of equipment in a smaller bag.</p>

• 9 months later...

<p>This thread has been asleep for while. But (partly on the basis of people's comments here) I just bought one. I have yet to use it in anger but my immediate reaction is a bit mixed. Very well made, but at £107 for a bag - a US built photographic bag - that's the least one might expect.</p>

<p>I've tried it on with a D700 plus grip (8 AA's) and 24-70 with a 70-200 VR1 alongside but not fully populated with spare batteries and additional lenses and bits. For 10 years I've been primarily using a Lowepro Mini-Trekker but I doubt that the Speed Racer is going to be replacing it much (yes, I know, entirely different products, but...). My first comment would be that the waist belt, which I had to shorten almost to the limit to fit my skinny 32" waist, when sitting above or over the belt on my trousers, tries very hard to drag the trousers down. This was absolutely the first impression the Speed Racer created - disconcerting and uncomfortable. I tried setting the belt so that the pack sat lower, which was just uncomfortable. And heavy and offbalancing! This surely can't be compared with carrying gear in a backpack equipped with shoulder, waist and chest straps.</p>

<p>I also tried it with the shoulder strap fitted, diagonally, with the friction pad removed as suggested. Well, with the waist belt set tight enough, rotating the pack, as suggested, is extremely awkward, with the friction dragging clothes round with the belt.</p>

<p>So I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to get on with the Speed Racer. It looks like it's going to be a rather expensive shoulder bag for occasions where I don't have to walk very far at all. One other observation; I have a set of Nikon soft bags supplied with the 2.8 zooms and have yet to find a practicable way to attach them to anything. Weight considerations aside, it would be useful, potentially, to attach them to the SR's belt. But you can't since even though the belt loops are the right size (for the webbing section that latches), it's impossible to free the webbing belt from the shortening buckle without first cutting off the folded-over return on the end of the strap. Which I'm reluctant to do, simply as an experiment. Of course I couldn't find a practicable way of attaching them to the Mini-Trekker either.</p>

<p>Anyway, I have a brief shoot tomorrow evening, 10 yards from the car park, so we'll see how the SR works out for short-haul, short duration jobs.<br>

Afterthought: I also have a Cotton Carrier (aka flak jacket). Relocating the camera to it would solve the weight problem substantially. But somehow, useful as it is (unless there's a very big lens on the body), I find the CC geeky in the extreme. And at 62 "geeky" is not a good look.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Worth noting is the fact that this is a working solution primarily, rather than a transportation solution. TT split their gear along those lines quite deliberately.<br>

I am considering one for a project in India. Personally I cannot abide backpacks for working from for numerous reasons - too hard to change gear, too sweaty in hot climates, can be awkward in crowded places etc.<br>

I will transport my gear - probably inside TT Modulus bags in a Pelican 1510 with the foam removed. When I go out for the day I am thinking of taking the Speed Racer, augmented by Modulus components as needed.</p>

<p>As an alternative I am discussing with the best luggage maker I know the possibility of a one off custom photo conversion of one of their bags.</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Well, reading this thread few months ago convinced me (I was looking to be convinced of course) that I needed a Speed Racer, having become bored with my 10-year old Mini Trekker and its limitations - for example it's a back-pack.</p>

<p>The Speed Racer is a beautifully made product, there's no question. I tried using it once. Why only once? It's the most uncomfortable solution to the problem of how to transport photographic equipment that I can remember trying. Cripplingly uncomfortable with any quantity of gear on board whether strapped to the waist - in which case it's a cruel practical joke - or as a shoulder bag, in which mode it's, well, a shoulder bag like any other.</p>

<p>I's say that the Cotton Carrier (which I also have) plus a belt pack for a frequently used lens is vastly preferable (weather protection aside) as a comfortable way to work, although it looks horribly geeky: not a good look at over 60. I've since acquired two additional backpacks. The Lowepro Vertex 200 AW and the Fastpack (250?). The former is a great way to <em>transport</em> a lot of gear although the laptop slot is big waste of space (for me anyway). The Fastpack is basically complete rubbish, made down to a price. No external straps or fixing points (!!!); the side access panel is of no practical advantage, plus it's an accident waiting to happen. </p>

<p>The Mini-Trekker is by far the best of this bunch 10 years after I bought it and despite a failing outer zip. There's lesson there somewhere.<br>

Roy</p>