<p>The inks used in the PIXMA iP4000 don't produce a neutral gray. You're trying to roll a stone up a very steep hill here.</p>

<p>If you absolutely need a neutral print, it's either buy a new printer or play with the color balance until you get your prints neutral enough. And even if you do the latter, the inks your PIXMA uses fade to a lovely purple in short order (so you're not solving the problem so much as delaying the inevitable).</p>

<p>Hi Richard. You are asking to much for a budget printer. I would sugest getting your prints at a local lab until you can afford a better printer. As regards to Epson V Canon. I have had both the Epson 9600 and the Canon IPF8000. We produce a lot of fine art water colour prints and I would say that we have always had better results out of the Canon because the epson nuterals change hue more under diferent lights.<br>

We Produce a lot of <a href="http://www.scrivs.co.uk/">Large Canvas Prints</a> in b/w and the other advantage of the canon is that you get a better Dmax print instead of a washy black on the epson when you print on a matt substrate.<br>

What I would suggest is before getting a new printer, get some test prints done, and check out the lightfastness of the inks.<br>

NB. I would only buy a second hand printer if the heads are new.<br>

Cheers Jake</p>